ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why can't I precomp text/shapes and select 'leave attributes in comp?'

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Taylor
Why can't I precomp text/shapes and select 'leave attributes in comp?'
on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:40:15 pm

Hey there
Just about to embark on a lyric video for a band that will involve lyrics popping up and flying around the screen in time to music.

Naturally I'm going to have a load of text elements on the screen. I'm currently at the stage of setting all the type how I want it, I then want to pre-comp clusters of words together so they can be animated as a group with effects applied to that group.

However when i try to pre-compose any text elements I am forced to select the second option "move all attributes into the new composition" which means the pre-comp's size will default to the size of the entire frame. This is really annoying! My life would be so much easier if the comp size constrained to its contents.

Why can't you pre-comp text or shape elements in this way? I'm thinking of setting the type in Photoshop and importing them as bitmaps, as this will allow me to precomp in this way, but i'd rather not!

Any ways around it?

Thanks for your help ....

Return to posts index

Jason Mettler
Re: Why can't I precomp text/shapes and select 'leave attributes in comp?'
on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:55:50 pm

You can set the size of the pre-comp to be the exact height and width of your text. Also, not sure if this is your issue, but you can tick the 'Collapse Transformation' if vector quality is a problem.

Return to posts index

Kim Taylor
on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:11:24 am

Yeah I thought about resizing the comp, but it's fiddly to get the exact size for each of the comps, given how many of them I'm going to have.

There's a function I've not used before called 'Trim comp to work are' which sounds like it might 'trim' the comp like in Photoshop but it doesn't seem to do anything...

It just seems that given the comp *can* be resized manually like you say, I can't see any reason why adobe couldn't have coded AE to do this for you?

bah!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 14, 2011 at 2:51:13 pm

Here's info on the work area [link]. It definitely has nothing to do with what you're trying to do, but you should still read up on it; it will probably come in handy someday. I use the trim comp to work area command a lot.

Here's a script that sounds like it does what you want: http://aescripts.com/pt_cropprecomps/

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kim Taylor
on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:17:56 pm

Cool! I'll check that out :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]