ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

setting up a basic 3d scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Kiddsetting up a basic 3d scene
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:14:29 pm

What I am trying to do should be very simple, I want to create a 3d scene and move a camera around so the shadow behind it moves.

My process is

add my logo, light and camera, make the background and cast the shadow this is fine but as soon as I move the camera the background moves exposing the baclground of the composition.

How do I create a 3d world where the shadows are created wihout this happening.

Also is it possible to effectively create a 3d 'room' similar to particle world where you have a floor and walls all of which can have shadows cast on them.

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: setting up a basic 3d scene
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:11:26 pm

In the real world, moving the camera wouldn't cause the shadow to move. Why not just move the light? Or the light and the camera both, at different rates?

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ross KiddRe: setting up a basic 3d scene
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:47:39 pm

ok ppint taken, but can I get the camera to move just the logo and keep the background without showing the boundaries as I rotate or is the only way to do this make the background solid massive?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: setting up a basic 3d scene
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:59:21 pm

Make your solids gigantic is one solution. That when when you move the camera, you won't expose the sides of the solid.

You can make rooms, just takes a little time. Create 2 solids, rotate one 90 degrees and move it to the edge of the other solid. Using the other views "top" "side" is very helpful in doing this.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: setting up a basic 3d scene
by on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:17:50 pm

Other thoughts:
If you want the background to not move you can make it a 2d layer or keep it 3d, but parent it to the camera.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved