ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Solutions for working with a slow PC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naglis RamanauskasSolutions for working with a slow PC
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 6:16:07 pm

Firstly, I will state my problem. I am not a new AE user and have already worked with this amazing program for some time. However, I have usually worked with relatively low quality input video or animating from scratch, so I haven't had any noticeable workflow problems. This time I got round with 1920x1080 quality input video and am seeking to maintain an above average quality output. At this point I came into a problem, because the exporting time of even a ~20s video is longer that I can put up with. This, i suppose, comes from my PC's slow performance(Athlon 64 dual core 2Ghz, 2,5gb Ram, GeForce GT 220). So my questions are:

1)What are the exporting properties, that can reduce the exporting time as much as possible(Quality is not needed at this point, because these exports are just for previewing if the scene turned out okay(because RAM previews takes more time, than exporting the full actual scene))?

2)One of my plans to get round the problem is to set the composition resolution to a low point(720*480 or so) while editing the scene and exporting previews, to have faster exporting time, and when the scene is finished and everything is ok, to set the resolution high again and have it in high quality at the end. So what I would like to know is, what's the way to modify the scale of all the layers of a composition AT ONCE, keeping the ratios and the overall outlook the same, so that I could easily make the scene fit the new, higher resolution when the scene is finished?

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Solutions for working with a slow PC
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 6:44:52 pm

How about trying Proxies.

Or rendering at Draft quality.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Solutions for working with a slow PC
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 8:58:28 pm

There's a whole page of performance improvement tips here. Many of them are intended to make something go "fast enough" on a limited computer.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved