ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How do I make animated text like this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hollie HarringtonHow do I make animated text like this?
by on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:31:58 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to After Effects but learning fast (hopefully!) I'm hugely interested in animating text like the type used in many inspirational NGO videos such as the girl effect ( or

What s this style of text animation called? Are there any tutorials around?

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How do I make animated text like this?
by on Jan 7, 2011 at 3:39:17 pm

The technique is often referred to as "Kinetic typography". Very popular style right now. Very doable in AE, I"ve done at least 5 or 6 of these videos in the last year(client sees one on YouTube then asks us to do it...whoohoo).

Generally a good understanding of precomping, parenting, nulls, text presets, text animators and sometimes 3d cameras and lights are needed to accomplish this type of look.

That and a whole lot of time, I've been using AE for 10 years, and my last Kinetic type video, (about 2 minutes long) took around 25 hours of work.

Quick google search turned up this tutorial:

Have fun and good luck.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: How do I make animated text like this?
by on Jan 11, 2011 at 4:54:46 pm

AE has a lot of built-in text animation presets to get you started. At the top of the AE interface, click 'Animation' and then 'Browse Presets'. Adobe Bridge will open (if you have it installed). In Bridge, search for 'Text' and click it. As you dive into the presets, they will sample in the preview panel. Drag into AE any preset that you like.

Also, to explore further, check out John Dickenson's 2 videos on Text animation at his site.

Have fun! The possibilities are huge!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved