ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiple Ken Burns Effect in Same Image - Roto Brush?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Murphy
Multiple Ken Burns Effect in Same Image - Roto Brush?
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:17:20 pm

In short, I’ve been trying to find a way to make different images within a still picture move at a different rate. What I might have done in the past is if I had a wedding shot of a couple walking out of the church, I might want to apply the Ken Burns effect (for lack of a better term) and have the “camera” pan out on the shot.

What I’d like to do instead is to scan the couple, separate them from the overall picture in another layer, and maybe have them appear to come closer as the rest of the church fades back – essentially two different Ken Burns effects on two different images from the same picture.

Another example might be to slightly move just one image from right to left while keeping the entire picture static. I’ve seen this type of effect in commercials, and I really like it.

In research, it appears that After Effects CS5 has a roto brush that can possibly do this (at least it can separate images). I’m making an assumption that one would use this tool to do what I want to do as mentioned above. I’d love to have AF CS5 – but for the two to four times I use it a year, I can’t justify the price.

My questions:

1) Is there a term for this technique?

2) Are there tools/apps that are not overly expensive that could facilitate the same process?

3) Are there tutorials that could assist me in doing this?

I have both a PC and a Mac. I have thought of ways of doing this manually, but none are efficient. Surely someone has the answers!

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Multiple Ken Burns Effect in Same Image - Roto Brush?
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:30:48 pm

If I understand you correctly, I would look for clips from a movie called, "The Kid Stays In The Picture." A google search -- and perhaps even faster, a search of the COW's Photoshop and AE tutorials -- might further reveal valuable how-to's.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:32:22 pm

Duplicate the layer.
Then just create a mask around the person on the top layer, and set the mask to Add. You may then find it helpful to use the Pan tool to move the layer's Anchor point to the center of the person, so that it scales from the center.
Now just animate the scale property of the two layers, up for the person layer and down for the background layer.
You may need to also animate the Position property of one or both layers so that original image of the person on the bottom layer stays fully obscured by the top layer.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jay Murphy
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:44:44 pm

What app would I use to do this? I do not have AE now. Honestly, I do most of my layer modifcations in (hear it comes...) Paint.NET and/or GIMP.

Also, do you have a tutorial on how to do what you're suggesting? Seems pretty straight forward for anyone who's done this. I, however, have not.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:50:06 pm

Sorry, I assumed you had an earlier version of AE.
I don't know of any inexpensive (shareware/freeware) apps for doing work of this kind.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:05:15 pm

[Joey Foreman] "I don't know of any inexpensive (shareware/freeware) apps for doing work of this kind"

Nor do I... sorry. It's time-consuming enough to keep abreast of new techniques in AE and Photoshop, to say nothing of non-standard software.

If these applications have user forums, I'd ask there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jay Murphy
on Jan 9, 2011 at 4:07:03 pm

Joey/Dave ~ Thnaks for your comments.

Dave ~ I've researched "The Kid Stays In The Picture," so I now know what you were referring to. That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I've done some additional research, too, and found other links that look like they may help.

The problem is that they're all top level instructions - essentially everyone assumes that all users are efficient in AE. I, however, am not.

I have a friend who has AE CS5, and he's allowed me to come over and use it on his PC. He doesn't really know much about AE, though, so he's not of much help.

Joey ~ on your instructions that you provided, would you mind going into a bit more detail? Such as how to do the masks, set anchors, etc.? Any additional help/tutorials would be great. We're definitely on the right track - I'm just very green.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 9, 2011 at 4:14:31 pm

Technique covered extensivkey in new Adobe Motion Graphics Studio Techniques book

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Jay Murphy
on Jan 9, 2011 at 4:21:14 pm

Thanks, Rich. Maybe that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check it out on my iPad first and then, if necessary, hit B&N.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 9, 2011 at 5:23:16 pm

iPad lacks hands on files and actual layout. I'd suggest ordering from Amazon. The lesson comes with about 12 shots deconstructed.

To get you started... here's a shorter article (and more basic) from my site.

http://www.richardharringtonblog.com/downloads/AdvancedMotionControl3D.pdf

http://www.rhedpixel.com/handouts/theresources/conferencehandouts/DVExpo/MO...

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]