ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

broadcast color safe

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Santosbroadcast color safe
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:42:06 am

If all I need is to make video broadcast color safe, do i need to have a calibrated monitor or will the scopes in Color Finesse suffice?

If I apply the Broadcast Colors effect to a footage, does that automatically make the footage broadcast color safe? Thanks and God bless.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: broadcast color safe
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:29:24 pm

As I understand it, pretty much yes to both.
You can use the scopes in Color Finesse to see what's outside the color range and to correct for it, but I feel you'll get better color if you can preview it on a broadcast monitor. At least you'll be able to see what you're doing.
Also, the Broadcast Colors filter does make it broadcast legal, you'd probably be better off doing it in Color Finesse though. You can make colors broadcast legal by applying a levels effect too. (input sliders to 235 and 16) :) but again, you'd get better quality fiddling with the colors manually in Color Finesse.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: broadcast color safe
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:22:40 pm

I have to disagree with Michael on one point.

Broadcast Colors is just about one of the most useless effects ever in AE; I stopped using it in AE 4.1. The reason: it takes a sledgehammer approach to fixing colors; it modifies EVERY color. It's like turning down the color saturation knob on an old TV set.

I would MUCH rather look at the scopes in Color Finesse, find the offending color, then fix that color and that color ALONE. The rest of the shot still looks nice and colorful.

Yes, it takes more time that way. No, it isn't automatic, nor fast 'n easy. But the result is worth it for me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: broadcast color safe
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:44:06 pm

See this page. It gives tips and instructions for various methods.

One method is to use the Broadcast Colors effect, but not to automatically make the changes for you. Rather, you can use it to identify the areas that need adjustment so that you can make the adjustments yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: broadcast color safe
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 6:00:33 pm

You're not disagreeing with me Dave, you're merely clarifying what I said. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: broadcast color safe
by on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:34:00 pm

color finesse's smart limiter is the simplest way because it smoothes the luma and chroma transition automatically instead of lopping it off.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Ryan SantosRe: broadcast color safe
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:19:32 am

Thanks guys for your answers. Really very helpful. God bless.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]