ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

trouble with masking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clayton Richards
trouble with masking
on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:50:48 pm

Hi, everybody
I'm new to this forum and i am starting to use Adobe After Effects.
I'm trying to mask a person out of a video. My actor moves a lot and doesn't keep the same "shape". I want to cut him out of the video and i did that with the pen tool frame by frame, but when i played it back, everything happened in the same mask. the masks didn't change throughout the video. I made different shaped masks and it played all in just one of the masks - the largest one. How can I make the masks change throughout the video, in other words, make it play mask-by-mask? Like, make the masks change frame-by-frame? Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you. :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: trouble with masking
on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:24:59 pm

[Clayton Richards] "I'm new to this forum and i am starting to use Adobe After Effects."

Hi! I hope you're not trying to jump into the deep end of the pool by trying to use AE intuitively. You'll get so lost.....

[Clayton Richards] "I made different shaped masks and it played all in just one of the masks - the largest one. How can I make the masks change throughout the video, in other words, make it play mask-by-mask? Like, make the masks change frame-by-frame?"

Oooops! You DID try to jump into the deep end of the pool! Sorry to hear that.

To answer your question directly, you have to ANIMATE the mask using keyframes on the Mask Path property.

Sounds like I'm talkin' Greek at ya? Here's a good way to get de-mystified... lots of good free stuff here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

And for about the price of a new game for your Wii, you can get something that's TONS better:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

I've got a copy, and I use it. A lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:34:54 pm

[Clayton Richards] "I'm new to this forum and i am starting to use Adobe After Effects."

Hi! I hope you didn't decide to jump into the deep end of the pool, and start using AE without knowing the basics. You'll get soooo lost....

[Clayton Richards] "I made different shaped masks and it played all in just one of the masks - the largest one. How can I make the masks change throughout the video, in other words, make it play mask-by-mask? Like, make the masks change frame-by-frame?"

Ooooops! You DID try to jump into the deep end of the pool. Sorry to hear that. Well, to answer your question directly, you have to ANIMATE the mask by creating keyframes on the layer's Mask Path Property.

Now, if that sounds like Greek to you, you need a little de-mystifyin'. There are lots of good, free stuff to help you get started here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

...and for about the price of a new game for your Wii, you can get something that's light-years better:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

I have it. I use it. A lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 4, 2011 at 11:56:33 pm

Dave has pointed you to some useful resources. Here's a page that goes into some detail about animating masks frame by frame (i.e., rotoscoping):
"Rotoscoping introduction and resources"

Here's a video that shows a simple instance of rotoscoping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:07:30 am

Rotoscoping out a moving person is one of the most difficult and time-consuming tasks in post production. That's why the color keying process was invented.

Next time, use a green screen.

Or if you have CS5, the Roto Brush will give you a leg up.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]