ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

optical flares

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João Gomesoptical flares
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 7:51:45 pm

Hi everybody!
Hope someone can help me out here.

I have a footage of a lady singing on stage and i want to create a flare coming into frame and passing behind her with optical flares.
The thing is, when the flare is hiding behind her, i still want to see some light of the flare, like she is backlit by the flare instead of just... disapearing...
I cannot get that effect if i just key frame the intensity of the flare to 0 as it goes behind her.

I´ve tried making a mask around her head (where the flare would go trough) but still can´t get the flare to go behind it...

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: optical flares
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:05:59 pm

Part of this is easy, the other part is difficult.

The easy part: Animate the flare center property of the effect. Now it moves! Using keyframes, you can stop it, too!

The difficult part: rotoscoping the edges of the subject to put the lens flare behind it. You'd do that on a duplicated layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

João GomesRe: optical flares
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:31:59 pm

Hi Dave. Thanks for responding.

Yes i know how to animate a flare´s center and i´ve tried that before, as i already said, but didn´t like the result.
As for for rotoscoping i will check it out.

I´m sure that there is an easier way of doing it.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: optical flares
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:47:29 pm

[João Gomes] "I´m sure that there is an easier way of doing it."

I'm glad you're so sure of it. If your profile is any indication, you've been using AE for.... oh, for about a day now. I've been using it since 1994 and I'm not so certain.

Oh, it might get a little easier if you have AE 10, and you're skilled at using Rotobrush, but in the end you'll still have to isolate your subject in the foreground from the background. If you haven't planned for it, it isn't easy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:48:49 pm

Really Dave? So you can tell by my profile how long i have been using After Effects?! Impressive...

Can you write something down without sounding pedantic or is it really in you nature?
I was trying to get some help from people who like helping without the irony "Now it moves, you can stop it too!" ... cute...

Thanks everybody.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: optical flares
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:09:40 pm

As Dave said, you animate the flare then you rotoscope the lady on a separate layer and put it over the lens flare footage. No other way to do it. There are, however, tons of ways to do rotoscoping. The good ones are all mentioned (with links to tutorials etc.) in the link I gave.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:52:52 pm

Thanks for your help Michael!

I´m am now in the process of making it look a bit more realistic and volumetric. (hope i wrote it well).. sorry for my english..

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]