However, when I check the box to make it 3D the image goes black
Any help will be greatly aprreciated

Thanks

Kieren

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Background goes black when made 3D
on Jan 3, 2011 at 7:28:38 pm

Do you have any lights in your scene or any cameras? I ask because there are two main causes for this type of thing.

Cause 1: Lights in scene not illuminating your layer. Add lights, move lights, or move your layer so that light falls on it.
Or set your layer's properties to not accept lights.

Cause 2: Camera not seeing object. When you turn a layer 3d, it pretty much defaults to AE's world space center. So, if you're looking through a custom camera or an alternate view you may not be looking at the layer.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kieren Hutchison
on Jan 3, 2011 at 7:40:10 pm

I don't think it is either of these as the 3D Object is still shown and I am looking through the active camera.
Here's two screen shots, maybe they will help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:40:56 pm

I see that you have a 3D Camera layer (naturally), and that your background is also a 3D layer... but the two layers in between are still 2D.

When you mix 2D and 3D layers in a comp, you're just asking for trouble, not to mention confusion. If you can't change those 2D layers into 3D layers, it's time for Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:52:24 pm

Where is your light source? If it's behind your layer it's gonna be black. Either move your layer forward in 3d space or your light back.

If that doesn't work, do as Dave suggested and turn those other layers 3d and/or get them above or below all the 3d stuff.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John Stanowski
on Dec 21, 2014 at 12:13:09 pm

I know it's been years since you asked this question, but I'm sure there are others, like me, who got this thread in a search and found no solution. I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I had 3D text which was animated in a pre-comp. But when I brought it into my main comp, the background went black. And my Y-axis rotations were weird; there was no perspective. After almost punching my screen I realized that my Comp Camera was set to Front. After switching it back to Active Camera, all was well.

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram
Snow Leopard (up-to-date)
Adobe Master Collection CS4 & CS5

Return to posts index

Zach Landua
on Jul 29, 2015 at 5:22:36 pm

Wow. I feel dumb. My camera was set to "front" as well.

Return to posts index

Frank Weber
on Jan 27, 2017 at 9:35:07 am

OMG. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]