ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE7 deinterlacing output automatically...Am I nuts?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul boldenAE7 deinterlacing output automatically...Am I nuts?
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 9:40:19 am

Hello Everyone,

I'll admit it. I've been working for 10 hours straight, it's after 4 in the morning, so I might not be thinking right. At about 3 this morning I noticed that AE7 was automatically deinterlacing my clips. I take a 60i clip, drop it in the comp window and BOOM, it's deinterlaced. I don't even have to render it out. Its as if a deinterlace plugin is stuck in the on position and running in the background.

I'm using a sony ntsc monitor and a lcd monitor (TV type) and I'm telling you guys/gals the clips are deinterlaced. If I take the same clip and drop in into Premiere you can see the two fields oscillating as you would expect with interlaced video.

Now back to AE7. If I render out the clip and then play it back in premiere, no visible fields...the clip has been deinterlaced.

Am I losing my mind? Am I just tired? What? Deinterlacing isn't a bad thing, I would just like to regain control of the process.

Paul Bolden

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: AE7 deinterlacing output automatically...Am I nuts?
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 11:00:56 am

Yes, AE automatically de-interlaces your footage because (from the AE manual)

Separating fields is critical if you plan to make significant changes to the image. When you scale, rotate, or apply effects to interlaced video, unwanted artifacts, such as crossed fields, are often introduced. By separating fields, After Effects accurately converts the two interlaced frames in the video to noninterlaced frames, while preserving the maximum amount of image quality. Using noninterlaced frames allows After Effects to apply edits and effects consistently and at the highest quality.

You can re-interlace the footage, if necessary, when you render your composition.

The deinterlacing can be turned off in the Interpret Footage dialog, but you shouldn't do that.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

paul boldenRe: AE7 deinterlacing output automatically...Am I nuts?
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 12:07:17 am

Hi Joey,

Thanks. Call me silly...I never noticed the auto deinterlacing before. I usually finish up in AE but this time I was jumping back and forth between AE and Premiere and that's how I caught it.

Thanks again Joey,

Paul Bolden

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved