ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Write on effect - the opposite?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Steven HardingWrite on effect - the opposite?
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 2:53:44 pm

Hi - I am new to the forums, and new to After Effects, so I am not entirely sure what I am looking for....

The problem is, I have just created a growing signpost in After Effects using the write on effect to make the pole grow and then 6 x directions grow off it. What I am trying to do next is make 5 of the directions grow back into the signpost, leaving just one showing.

I have created a 2nd write on for each of the directions, and tried to cover it up that way, but I cannot see the background image as the brush is showing.

I'm struggling to explain :(.....

I have a background painting, and on top of this I have a vector signpost with 6 directions....I have managed to make the signpost grow and the directions grow out from it using the write on effect, but now I want to make them seem to grow back into the signpost......the write on doesnt work as I am then left with the brush line (and not the background image). And, if I change it to transparent, then I cannot see the original growing (i done see anything)....

Please help if possible - thanks

Return to posts index

Steven HardingRe: Write on effect - the opposite?
by on Jan 1, 2011 at 8:20:32 pm

I dont know the solution for this yet - I clicked it by accident :(

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Write on effect - the opposite?
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 4:55:21 pm

I'm not quite sure how you have your project set up, but can you not keyframe the effect back off?

If not, you can use a second layer with an instance of the write on effect as a track matte.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved