ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Two comp windows, one timeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric ChardTwo comp windows, one timeline
by on Dec 29, 2010 at 6:43:50 am

Grrrr, still baffled by the UI options:

How does one arrange to see 2 Comp windows, with ONE timeline? It's easy to get a Comp and a Layer window, but two comps seems to require some serious shuffling.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Two comp windows, one timeline
by on Dec 29, 2010 at 8:35:11 am

See this page. It contains lots of tips for working with viewers, such as this:
"To lock the current viewer, split the current frame, and create a new viewer of the same type in the new frame, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift+N (Mac OS)."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Two comp windows, one timeline
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:15:10 pm

Many thanks. Good resource

CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N - is that anywhere in the menus???

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:22:40 pm

> is that anywhere in the menus?

It's in the documentation. It's amazing what useful things you can find in there.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Two comp windows, one timeline
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:30:00 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "...It's amazing what useful things you can find in there."

Indeed. However, AE's Online Help oftentimes assumes that you know what you're looking for BEFORE you look for it; that's not always the case for many people. Myself, for example.

I would never have known about some very handy AE tricks had it not been for a recent acquisition:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:34:17 pm

> Indeed. However, AE's Online Help oftentimes assumes that you know what you're looking for BEFORE you look for it; that's not always the case for many people. Myself, for example.

Am I the only person left in the world who reads through the documentation when I get a new piece of software? [*sigh*]

> I would never have known about some very handy AE tricks had it not been for a recent acquisition:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

[*blush*]

Of course, you can probably tell that I've mostly given up on the thought that I can convince people to RTFM, since I'm no longer writing TFM but am instead creating DVDs and answering questions on forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Two comp windows, one timeline
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:51:58 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "Am I the only person left in the world who reads through the documentation when I get a new piece of software? [*sigh*]"

Oh, I always thought the AE manual was a marvelous reference publication. But to respond to your comment, I'll bet there are folks who view calculus textbooks as bathroom literature who still read the documentation. Is Adobe's available on a Nook or a Kindle?

It would be interesting to find out how newbie, non-software-engineer Adobe folks learn the latest version of Autocad -- from Autodesk's documentation?

[Todd Kopriva] "...I'm no longer writing TFM but am instead creating DVDs and answering questions on forums."

Which just goes to prove there is more than one way to skin a cat. With an application as wide and deep as AE, learning it can be a real journey.

I suppose there's also video training for for Microsoft Word, but I don't understand why.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Two comp windows, one timeline
by on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:46:48 am

"Am I the only person left in the world who reads through the documentation when I get a new piece of software?"

Quite possibly. I used to read them cover to cover back in the days when printed manuals were included with the software and things were generally more tangible. I find it impossible to read a manual in full on the screen. I find that manuals are not even made with the idea of being read cover to cover these days, so why do so? These days I use them as a per-case reference material. "Classroom in a Book" is an option when you get started with a new program, but it doesn't cover all the details.

Return to posts index

Chris McCorkelRe: Two comp windows, one timeline
by on Sep 27, 2015 at 8:18:22 pm

It is in the menu on CC 2014. It's the first choice in the "View" tab. It's called "New Viewer". Hope this helps!

I know this thread is old but maybe it will be useful to someone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]