ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to convert properly?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Smith
How to convert properly?
on Dec 28, 2010 at 8:15:45 pm

This question is only partially related to AE.

I have a MKV file my AE won't load. I've been advised to convert it to MOV. But someone said converting one format into another always results in (minor) quality loss.
Is this true?
If it is, how do professionals do it?
I imagine they, too, sometimes have to convert files.

Return to posts index

Amit Zinman
Re: How to convert properly?
on Dec 28, 2010 at 9:40:31 pm

MKV is a lossy type of MPEG-2 as far as I know.
But you would have to "open" the frames anyhow to do anything with them. You would be served well with converting to Quicktime Animation or Photo-JPEG.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 28, 2010 at 10:00:23 pm

> But someone said converting one format into another always results in (minor) quality loss.
Is this true?

Not precisely true.

Each time that you compress a movie using a lossy codec, you lose some quality. However, there are many lossless codecs, and you can compress with those with no loss in quality. Amit mentioned one such codec: Animation.

Personally, I use the PNG video codec in a QuickTime (MOV) container when I want a losslessly encoded/compressed movie. It's about 50% better at saving file size, but it's also a little more processor-intensive.

Other folks use Lagarith and some other codecs that don't come with the standard QuickTime installation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Richard Smith
on Dec 29, 2010 at 7:53:08 am

[Todd Kopriva] "I use the PNG video codec in a QuickTime (MOV) container"

Can this be done in Windows, with AE?

[Todd Kopriva] "losslessly encoded"

Is it really lossless? You don't lose any quality?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 29, 2010 at 8:11:36 am

> Can this be done in Windows, with AE?

Yes.

> Is it really lossless? You don't lose any quality?

Yes, it's really lossless. No, you don't lose any quality.

The lossless codecs are good for archiving and for using in intermediate stages of a post-production workflow, but they aren't good for playback or streaming or other final distribution.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 29, 2010 at 8:24:17 am

Back to your original question, though---After Effects doesn't open MKV files. So, you have to convert them using something else to even get them into After Effects.

Yes, After Effects can losslessly encode movies after you've imported your source files into it, but you still have to clear that first hurdle.

There are other software packages that can convert MKV files. I can't recommend any specifically, though. Just make sure that you use a lossless codec for the output when doing the conversion.

The real solution for next time is to not use MKV format to start with, if you can help it.

Return to posts index

Richard Smith
on Dec 29, 2010 at 8:46:48 am

[Todd Kopriva] "you have to convert them using something else to even get them into After Effects."

Yes. I mean to convert the file via Total Video Converter. And as I don't want quality loss to occur, I'll use your suggestion- Quicktime Animation codec.

I selected MOV as converted filetype but.. in the Codecs list there is no mention whatsoever of any Animation codec.
Where can I find it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 29, 2010 at 4:56:38 pm

You may have to delve into Quicktime's preferences and enable lagacy codecs. And don't use QT 10. If you did,
  • uninstall
  • it properly, then get the most recent version of QT 7. And spend the 35 bucks to get Quicktime Pro, too. Best money you'll spend for months to come.

Dave LaRonde
    Sr. Promotion Producer
    KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
    on Dec 29, 2010 at 5:01:09 pm

Here's a page that gives some information about enabling the "legacy" QuickTime codecs:
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403333.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]