ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Link Layer to AUDIO - animate to music?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
guy williamsLink Layer to AUDIO - animate to music?
by on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:44:21 pm

Hi, would anyone know how to link an audio file to a layer -

so when there is sound, the layer moves side-to-side etc?

I know you can link an effect to audio, but haven't been able to find a way to link it to actual movement.
Any help very appreciated, Merry Christmas

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Link Layer to AUDIO - animate to music?
by on Dec 21, 2010 at 10:01:20 pm

I have to tell you, there really isn't any fast 'n easy way to do it. Yes, AE has the Convert Audio to keyframes command, and Trapcode's Soundkeys plugin takes it a step further by isolating frequences, but neither one will wow you by the one ability you really want: finding the beat.

My never-fail method is to find the beat in your video editing application: use solid pictures of alternating colors, cut at the beat. Use special colors to find special things you want to do in AE. Then export the video & audio to AE. It doesn't even have to be big! I've made 'em 240x180 in the past. But don't conserve on file size by fooling with the frame rate: edit & export at the frame rate you need to deliver.

DO NOT USE MP3'S!!! They'll never work properly. They never have worked properly in AE. Convert them to AIFF or WAV files before you begin editing as recommended above.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Link Layer to AUDIO - animate to music?
by on Dec 21, 2010 at 11:47:10 pm

There are a bunch of tutorials and demonstrations for driving animation with audio linked to from this page.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved