ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CC Ball Action in AE but cubes?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Morrison
CC Ball Action in AE but cubes?
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:46:35 pm

I'm trying to split footage or a still image in After Effects (CS4) into thousands of small 3d cubes. Just like the CC Ball Action effect under Effect > Simulation > CC Ball Action and with similar controls . Can anyone help with this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CC Ball Action in AE but cubes?
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:04:49 pm

I think you're kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. Ball Action is a 2D effect, which is why you can have all those balls. The effect does the heavy lifting for you.

But with 3D cubes, YOU"RE the one who'd have to do the heavy lifting. You'd need to construct squares with different pieces of the image in them, THEN build cubes! Building thousands of unique squares... ugh. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Once you got them positioned, you could then make a 3D precomp and apply something like Card Dance to make the cubes move & change size.

I don't know if Foam would work any better. Probably not.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Morrison
on Dec 22, 2010 at 7:29:11 am

Thanks for the response Dave, yeah that's what i thought but i was particularly curious as to whether anybody knew of a plug-in or existing method that worked on the same or a similar principle to the CC Ball Action. I have numerous images (and if possible) footage that i need to try to re-create a similar effect to this with and to do manually would be just too time consuming.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 22, 2010 at 7:25:23 pm

Trapcode's Form is very similar to CC Ball Action, but a lot more powerful. If you used a precomp with a 3d cube in it as the particles, you would essentially have a cube version of CC Ball Action...-ish.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 21, 2010 at 7:01:47 pm

If you have Particular, you can use any of the logo to sand or text to sand tutorials, but instead of a bunch of tiny sandy particles, make your particle a custom particle. Reference a precomp you've created with a spinning cube.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 21, 2010 at 7:46:50 pm

Hi, Michael...

If I read the gent's request properly, it sounds as he wants unique-to-each-one video on the primary faces of these cubes, which at some point may join to create a complete picture.

I hope you're right instead of me; creating the effect moves into the realm of possibility then.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 25, 2010 at 12:43:48 am

you could use a layer emitter (grid type) in particular and have the rgb of the layer be used to colorize the particles... so you may be able to get pretty close to ball action.

if form has the same type of layer mapping and custom particles, it would probably be the better choice. it seems that form has better control of the particles after birth, which should make it a better choice here.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]