ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Matte Effect with Text Revealing Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug FergusonMatte Effect with Text Revealing Footage
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:25:06 pm

I am new to After Effects and want to do an effect I know it can do, I just don’t know how to do it.

I have text where the word flies straight out at you in a keyframe move. I want it to reveal footage from the circle of the letter "b" as the "b" gets closer and closer to finally having the footage be the entire screen. The video I want to put it on is at:

The part I want help with is in the beginning of the video. You can see I just cut to the footage zooming out, not exactly what I want. I want the video to appear inside the "b". I know it has something to do with mattes and motion tracking. I just don’t know where to place that matte or how to build the matte to match the inside of the letter “b”. I don’t what to render the footage in After Effects, I just want this 1st part to render out to take to Premiere and continue on with my video.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Matte Effect with Text Revealing Footage
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 4:58:20 pm

actually, this can be quite easy.

duplicate your text layer place it directly above the layer to be matted (the footage layer).

add the paint bucket effect to the duplicate text layer. this effect will give you a point control that will fill an area based on some tolerance settings. just position that point to the center of the O, set the selector to alpha only and set the blending option to fill only.

you should have just the center of the O showing for that layer now (no text). scrub thu and see if the center stays filled, if it doesn't. you need to add a few key frames to the point control to keep it within the O.

once you have that, use the track matte option (in the 'modes' layer options) for the footage layer to select the alpha of the layer above it (the filled O).

that footage layer should now be matted by the O layer.

if you want to fade in the footage as the O flies out, you can do that by keyframing the opacity of the paint bucket effect, the opacity of the O layer itself, or the opacity of the footage layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Doug FergusonRe: Matte Effect with Text Revealing Footage
by on Dec 18, 2010 at 10:14:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm very close to getting it. How do I render it out without having the footage being inside After Effects? Can it be rendered out and brought into Premiere with the Alpha Channel in place?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved