ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

5d mark ii fcp compressor AE work flow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith
5d mark ii fcp compressor AE work flow
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:17:51 pm

Hello, i got a music vid in post shot on a 5d mark ii.
Could use a little help with the work flow.
The project was shot @24, HD.
Needs noise reduction ( 6400 iso ), and slow-mo.
I was gonna:

1. convert to a different codec in compressor to get it ready for AE.
( is that even necessary? If so what's the best HD codec for AE? ProRes 422? Need final for web only ).

2. then use neat video plug in FCP to get rid of the noise.
( is there something that comes with AE that could do this so I don't have to spend the $100 on neat?

3. then use Kronos or Twixtor for slow-mo (slowing down 33%) in FCP.
(or will AE's timewrap plug-in or another plugin be sufficient? Very little action in all shots)

4. Export to Compressor to render out a .mov (which codec?)
5. Import that .mov into AE for color correction and a few other effects.
6. Finish in Compressor and get it ready for umm.. yes youtube :)

Hoping one of the creative cow's old timers helps out with this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 5d mark ii fcp compressor AE work flow
on Dec 15, 2010 at 4:00:24 pm

[Johnny Smith] "Needs noise reduction ( 6400 iso ), and slow-mo."

Here's the big question: how much noise reduction and slo-mo?

AE has built-in noise reduction, but you don't want to push it too far, and it's a render hog.
AE also has TimeWarp built in, but it can't work miracles.

It sounds like you might be hosed from the start -- you didn't have sufficient lighting, and you didn't plan at shooting at a higher frame rate, which would have given you a leg up on the slo-mo. It sounds more like you just jumped into the deep end of the pool without any swimming lessons.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 15, 2010 at 5:36:35 pm

to answer a few of your questions, i would probably use a prores422 workflow though out (both fcp and ae) then compress to an mp4 for youtube at the end.

i agree with dave... i'm not sure if you were involved with the shoot or not, but you could have save a lot of time if more lights were used and it was shot at 30p (shooting 30p and converting that to 24p would be like 25% slo-mo, 32fps to 24p would be 33% slo-mo, i doubt many would notice the difference).

as far as to use ae or buy plugins for fcp, i'd go ahead and try ae and see if you get the results you're after. like dave said, it will do what you're asking, but other plugins may do them better/faster.

if your frame size is 1080, reducing the frame size to 720 for youtube (i think they still use 1280x720 for hd) will help to lessen noise a bit, so that may work in your favor.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Dec 15, 2010 at 8:43:19 pm

Oh Dave. Well, thank you.
For this particular project I decided on using available light. We agreed on the look.
I got the shots that I needed, then we started to lose the light and I kept going cause I wanted
to get a better performance out of the artist. Her last take was by far the best. I have an earlier take that has flawless lighting and no noise, but I'm sorry I'm the kind of a director that will alway pick performance over technical issues. Even for a music video. My previous project was shot on 35mm and so is my next one. This was a small side low budget project and although I agree I should have shot on 30, renting a camera was not in the budget so I just shot it with my 5d Mark ii. Mark ii can only 24 or 30.
I'm an amateur when it comes to AE, but I'm a pro director and bruise easy, sorry for the long novella.

That said, which plug in in AE removes noise?? When i type in noise under AE I only get plugins that add noise. My noise is the typical noise that mark ii's 6400 iso is famous for. It is not underexposed, just a few red dots here and there. Timewrap looks good enough, just very slow.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2010 at 8:47:00 pm

Look for Remove Grain, and tread lightly with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Dec 15, 2010 at 9:00:39 pm

thank you sir!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 17, 2010 at 5:44:28 am

[Johnny Smith] "thank you sir!"

You are welcome, sir. I hope our suggestions work for you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]