ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Computer Option for Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Paquette
Computer Option for Video
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:09:44 pm

I have read that it's best to keep video files (from the camera) on a separate HDD from the app (in this case, AE, but P Pro, etc. as well).

I have two questions: (1) what is the rationale for this (engineering speaking)and (2) I'm planning to move my media to an otherwise empty internal HDD (500G 7200 rpm) and keep my AE project files on my C drive for easy access. Will this slow down previews and renders?

Thanks, Dale

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Computer Option for Video
on Dec 15, 2010 at 2:58:50 pm

[Dale Paquette] "what is the rationale for this (engineering speaking)"

this probably came about for a few reasons... fast drives used to be expensive and space was at a premium. you didn't need a large, fast expensive drive for your os and apps, so why use that drive for them, use it for your footage.

also, fragmentation sued to be a big problem with older file systems. the system drive typically is used for a lot of caching activity, and constant small writes leads to faster fragmentation and decreased performance. decreased performance meant dropped frames when capturing, so you'd like to keep that capture drive as clean as possible.

those aren't as big of concerns as they used to be, but if you have os/apps on one drive (where much of the caching will happen) and media on the other you can split the read/write activity on to 2 drives. even better is to split them onto 2 drive buses (like on an internal and external bus).

[Dale Paquette] "I'm planning to move my media to an otherwise empty internal HDD (500G 7200 rpm) and keep my AE project files on my C drive for easy access. Will this slow down previews and renders?"

i don't see a big problem with that. i typically keep project files and media together, but that's more for my organizational (or lack of...) practices.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]