ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Subtracting ellipse not working as expected

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob AldermanSubtracting ellipse not working as expected
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:59:46 am

Hi All,

This is my first post although I have read a lot of the threads over the past few months as I have been learning to use Final Cut Pro and Adobe After Effects. Great forum from what I have experienced so far.

I have only just started to learn how to use Adobe After Effects so just to warn you, I am at a basic level!

I was running through the following tutorial ( and got to the part when he was adding the "Pin hole" effect using the ellipse solid tool. He adds the soild, creates an ellipse shape and then uses the 'Subtract' function and then the feather function to create a pin hole style effect.

When I do this, the ellipse goes on fine but when I click 'Subtract', the ellipse disappears and doesn't "invert" as expected. I've tried to find information on the net and on here but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

SPACE MANRe: Subtracting ellipse not working as expected
by on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:00:15 pm

SPACEMAN has tried this. SPACEMAN is wondering if you have created a black layer and also an ellipse shape layer? Create an elliptical mask on the black layer and choose "subtract". If this is still not working, try clicking the "inverted" check box and choosing "add" from the mask drop down menu.

SPACEMAN needs spaceship parts, not expressions...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved