ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Naming Light Layers Matters?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max JacksonNaming Light Layers Matters?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 8:50:37 am

Hi CC,

I just did this video tutorial using Particular. It uses light as an emitter, but the layer will only play along if the light layer is labeled "Emitter".

What in the world is that?

Is that the only name of concern?

Why does the layer name affect it so?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Naming Light Layers Matters?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 2:39:31 pm

[Max Jackson] "I just did this video tutorial using Particular. It uses light as an emitter, but the layer will only play along if the light layer is labeled "Emitter"."

that's just the way the plugin was written. if you want to use a light as an emitter, then you need to name it that and choose 'light' as the emitter (or choose 'light' for the emitter and i believe particular will add the light and name it emitter)

you can link the emitter's position properties to any light (or any layer) using expressions and you can name that layer anything you want, but it's easier to do it the way the plugin was designed.

using a light also allows you to control other emitter settings. intensity controls birth rate, the type of light controls type of emitter (point, directional), cone angle controls spread, point of interest controls direction, etc...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Naming Light Layers Matters?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 2:48:12 pm

Probably in the tutorial, you were only using one light, but there are situations where you will set up multiple lights in a comp to create shadows and to affect layers along with particular. Without a naming convention all of the lights would be emitting particles, which isn't what you would probably want.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Max JacksonRe: Naming Light Layers Matters?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:53:18 pm

Ahh, I see. The naming convention is the "enabler" so to speak.

Is this the only instance of this kind of convention where naming determines the functionality of a layer, light or otherwise? I guess that's a lot to ask since John said it's particular to Particular? ...har, har.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Naming Light Layers Matters?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:00:27 pm

As Kevin pointed out, it's Particular's way of doing things. You can actually go into the options for each instance of Particular and change what the naming convention for light emitters is so that different particle effects will use different lights.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:07:02 pm

Ohhhhhh, so that's what the Options mean up at the top for Emitter and Shadow.

That must be connected. That's cool. Glad I asked, I never would have figured that out on my own.

Thanks you guys!! :D

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Naming Light Layers Matters?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:39:53 pm

" I never would have figured that out on my own."
It's all in the help documentation that comes with Particular. It's actually quite useful stuff. Better than many help documents I've looked through. Looks pretty too.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2010 at 9:58:38 pm

Something I should print out.

Thanks Michael!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]