ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to get rid of string things in motion path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Levenson
How to get rid of string things in motion path
on Dec 13, 2010 at 4:41:42 pm

You know the little stringed dots that ae make when you make a motion path keyframe? The ones that curve the motion around. How do you make ae stop from automatically putting those in? But sometimes they're good, so how can you turn them back on when you need them?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to get rid of string things in motion path
on Dec 13, 2010 at 5:36:46 pm

Those "string things" are the points of the moving layer on each frame. You can turn them off in Preferences, but I wouldn't advise it; it's too easy to get confused without them.

It sounds like you'd benefit from a little reading:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

And you might also be interested in getting a DVD & book called "Adobe CS5: Learn By Video" from Peachpit Press. It's got everything you need for a firm grounding in AE in one handy package.

I have a copy and I use it. A lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Russell Levenson
on Dec 13, 2010 at 6:09:20 pm

I'm sorry. I didn't mean the keyframes themselves. I know that they create lines in the view... I just mean the little points that stick off of keyframes. They're little lines with dots on the tips that make a keyframe curve before or after it occurs.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 13, 2010 at 6:18:39 pm

yep, you'd turn that on/off in preferences>display... there are several options for 'motion path' (that's what the little dotted lines are called).

you'd need to check the keyboard shortcuts for your version of ae (should be in help menu) to see if there are any short cuts to toggle that on/off, but i can't think of any.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 13, 2010 at 6:19:57 pm

Those are the Bezier handles. Play around with 'em -- make 'em shorter, longer, rotate 'em -- and you'll notice that they alter the shape of the motion path. If you want specific curving in your motion path, you'll want 'em handy.

Again, that link to the Motion Path section of AE's Online Help I provided earlier will have more information.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]