ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Ahhhh... !!! Rotoscoping Still Images

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex PhongphachoneAhhhh... !!! Rotoscoping Still Images
by on Dec 12, 2010 at 5:45:09 pm

Hi there. Newbie with After Effects and I am pulling my hair out. I have a still map image that I've imported into After Effects. I am trying to " clip " the outlining of the map by using the powerful RotoBrush feature ( instead of the pen tool ). I will then use that clipping on later projects. Ok, I dragged the map into the new comp box, successfully used the roto tool to outlined the areas, they are all connected.

My problem is.... now what ??? I don't know how and can't get rid of the background. I tried the alt key along with the red Roto Tool to remove but it won't go away. Ideally, the background should disappear because I clip the footage completely. How???

This whole process is confusing but I really like the exact detail of the RotoBrush feature.

Can someone please help me? And yes, please treat me like you are teaching a child. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ahhhh... !!! Rotoscoping Still Images
by on Dec 13, 2010 at 4:18:14 am

Actually, RotoBrush is intended for video. Your first instinct was correct to use the Pen tool.

However, if this map happens to have a single-color background, you could also try a Color Key or even Keylight.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew DevisRe: Ahhhh... !!! Rotoscoping Still Images
by on Dec 13, 2010 at 8:46:00 am

Could it be that you are still in the layer window and need to click on the tab at the top of the viewer to get back to the coposition view which would show the background gone?

Hope this helps

... because it's all about stories ...

Return to posts index

Alex PhongphachoneRe: Ahhhh... !!! Rotoscoping Still Images
by on Dec 13, 2010 at 1:19:36 pm

First off, thanks guys for the help. Its aggravating because I feel that it is possible but I just don't know how to navigate through it. I am almost there !!

Rotobrushing my still map gave me exactly what I wanted, an easy and intelligent way of outlining the map. There are two tabs on top of my viewers, one is called comp 1 and the other Layer 1, both are showing me the effect of clippings. The propagation and matte adjustments on the top left does not do anything when tweaking. It just seems like I am missing the next command.

I'll play around with it some more and hope for the best. Otherwise, I'll try other methods to clip a still image.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Ahhhh... !!! Rotoscoping Still Images
by on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:04:37 pm

You could try Auto Trace

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Ahhhh... !!! Rotoscoping Still Images
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:06:07 am

IMO, the entire approach is misguided: better to it in Photoshop.

"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."

Return to posts index

Aza AllenRe: Ahhhh... !!! Rotoscoping Still Images
by on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:59:51 am

I believe you need to freeze the rotobrush... I am doing similar work. Once you freeze it, you should have an easier time using the layer in your comp.

Make sure to check out our website and my personal website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved