ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a Mask that doesn't move with layer and stays Invisible.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason PoonCreating a Mask that doesn't move with layer and stays Invisible.
by on Dec 10, 2010 at 1:46:17 am

Hi Everyone

I have done several searches on how to create a mask that doesn't move with the Layer. It seems like its not possible to "lock" the mask down while the layer moves, and I need to "track matte it." It seems like this is the process.

Create a solid
Copy the mask to that solid
Change the track matte to - alpha something
Then put that solid above the layer I want to mask.
Delete mask on original layer.

Here is where I run into the problem. What I'm trying to create is a text fly out as if its coming from behind a thin line. I'm also trying to create the illusion

There are a few concerns:
1. I'm not sure which track matte option to use. And is there a specific blending option I should choose for that layer?
2. What color should that track matte layer be?
3. When I create a mask to the solid, it only covers the mask (obviously), but that then is the problem. I can see the solid that is unmasked which covers the important elements inside the comp.

Another way to restate my questions is
Can I create a mask that only covers parts of 1 layer and is nonexistent to the other layers in the comp. And can I create multiple mask for multiple layers?

Thanks for reading. This is my first time posting, so please don't rip me to pieces.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating a Mask that doesn't move with layer and stays Invisible.
by on Dec 10, 2010 at 2:38:36 am

It sounds like you're doing it the proper way by using a track matte to conceal the text. I do it all the time myself.

Solids make great track mattes. If you scale them independently in H&V, you can make pretty much any size rectangle you want for the track matte.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating a Mask that doesn't move with layer and stays Invisible.
by on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:51:22 pm

1. I'm not sure which track matte option to use. And is there a specific blending option I should choose for that layer?
The different options would depend on what you're doing.
You shouldn't have to mess with blending options.

2. What color should that track matte layer be?
As long as you're using it as an alpha matte and not a luma matte, it doesn't matter.

3. When I create a mask to the solid, it only covers the mask (obviously), but that then is the problem. I can see the solid that is unmasked which covers the important elements inside the comp.
When you make the solid a track matte for your text, it should automatically be made invisible.

Have you tried reading up on track mattes?

Can I create a mask that only covers parts of 1 layer and is nonexistent to the other layers in the comp. And can I create multiple mask for multiple layers?
A mask that covers part of 1 layer and doesn't effect any other layers is a normal mask on a layer. If you want it separate from a layer, it's a normal track matte.
Multiple masks for multiple layers is possible, depending on how you're doing it and what you're trying to do, you may need to precompose some elements.

In addition to the link I gave earlier on track mattes, I'm going to suggest you go through all the resources here. They will help you get a better grounding in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jason PoonRe: Creating a Mask that doesn't move with layer and stays Invisible.
by on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:35:53 pm

Thank you guys!

@Szalam I actually did read the reference on track mattes. But I figured out the problem!

I was changing the TrkMat of the solid with mask layer to Alpha matte(inverted) instead of changing the TrkMat on the Text layer or what I was trying to mask layer. And then you also need to turn off the opacity of the track matte mask layer(which normally happens by default when you change the trkmat settings)

Here are my "timeline"

1. The shape that I want to have stuff fly out from behind.
-in my case it was a thin line
2. Solid layer with the mask (hide layer/turn off eye)
3. The text that I want to fly out from behind layer 1. TrkMat is set to Alpha Invert.

And that's it. Thanks again

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Creating a Mask that doesn't move with layer and stays Invisible.
by on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:12:56 am

Look into the neglected "Silhoutte" and "Stencil" blending modes. These might be applicable to your need.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Anders Holst AndersenRe: Creating a Mask that doesn't move with layer and stays Invisible.
by on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:52:22 pm

hi i didnt quite understand whagt you wrote... can you help me with this advanced question?

i want to make a mask which hides severel and specifik layers. In other words i want to make a mask who is not bound to a layer ( i have tried bound to document but with no result.

i have though found a solution, its just not good enough.

my solution is: i make a new layer from the picture i get when i copy merged without the bagground. then the whole picture becomes a new layer and i can put a mask on that layer...

its not good enough because i use the layers individually in my moviemaking for playing with some greenscreenmovies. hope you can help me... now i tryed for a very long time :(

Return to posts index

Anders Holst AndersenRe: Creating a Mask that doesn't move with layer and stays Invisible.
by on Jul 16, 2012 at 12:53:38 pm

hi i didnt quite understand whagt you wrote... can you help me with this advanced question from photoshop cs 5

i want to make a mask which hides severel and specifik layers. In other words i want to make a mask who is not bound to a layer ( i have tried bound to document but with no result.

i have though found a solution, its just not good enough.

my solution is: i make a new layer from the picture i get when i copy merged without the bagground. then the whole picture becomes a new layer and i can put a mask on that layer...

its not good enough because i use the layers individually in my moviemaking for playing with some greenscreenmovies. hope you can help me... now i tryed for a very long time :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]