ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

dvcPro HD QT on PC into After Effects!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tylor Larson
dvcPro HD QT on PC into After Effects!!!
on Dec 8, 2010 at 4:43:19 pm

I'm looking for an easy work around for working with dvcpro HD QT files from a mac with final cut pro, to my PC with AE. whenever I bring the QT onto my PC I get a white video screen and working audio. I also downloaded the latest Avid LE 2.2.1 Codecs that "Support" dvcpro HD... or at least that is what Avid says. PLEASE HELP!!!

Ty

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: dvcPro HD QT on PC into After Effects!!!
on Dec 8, 2010 at 4:52:51 pm

You have a couple of options.

If you're simply using clips out of the FCP capture scratch, you'll want to buy either a DVCPro HD transcoder ($40) or the entire codec ($150), which lets you render back to DVCPro HD. I forget the name of the company that makes it, but you can google it. You might find a couple; the name Raylight comes to mind.

If you like to export an FCP edit timeline, why not export it in ProRes 422? The latest version of QT7 Pro for Windows can read it. It won't WRITE to ProRes 422, but it'll read it.

So how do you get your stuff off the Windows box and back into FCP? I use PNG image sequences: they're lossless, y'know. You can either use an image sequence as is in FCP, or you can open the sequence in QT on your Mac and export in DVCPro HD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 8, 2010 at 5:08:06 pm

ae will read dvcprohd in mxf, so another option could be to bring the original mxf files directly into ae. this depends on how much has been done in fcp, but it avoids further loss due to another compression pass out of fcp.

personally, i'd export clips from fcp to lossless animation or uncompressed 10bit to ae, unless you were bringing the whole timeline in. then i'd render to the same for import into fcp.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
on Dec 8, 2010 at 5:44:57 pm

Kevin,
I have tried working with the clients, and teaching them how to export out of FCP but they dont understand why their files don't work. i even when so far as to write up a HOW-TO.

Normally I tell my clients to kick out animation codec files. but some times i just get stuck working with what i get...

i did find that if i import the DVCpro hd into a avid and export the clips out as a dnx145 i can work with those files.. but i would really like to find a way to work with these clips on a pc without having to convert them to some other codec... to bad apple doesnt watch these forums.... if they do... APPLE please make the DVCpro codec for PC so i dont have to convert my clips.

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
on Dec 8, 2010 at 5:37:32 pm

Normally I find a mac, with FCP and use compressor to convert the footage to a DNxHD 145 and then move that onto my PC. but sense my Mac died, I haven't reinstalled FCP... AKA i cant convert the footage any more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]