ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Vector images in AE - cannot change color. Please advise.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Perkins
Vector images in AE - cannot change color. Please advise.
on Dec 8, 2010 at 3:05:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm making a graphic in after effects, and this one is stumping me. I've got a flourish that the camera passes as it goes from title 1 to title 2. (pic below). They were originally vector images (though they don't seem to be now after I've imported them.) They're black, and I want to make them pink and purple. (It's for a teen girls face wash lines.) Ive tried the "color change" effect and it has no effect. I tried making a ramp layer and blending it so that it colors only the graphics. This worked, but only in the original comp - not in the parent comp and not on export. Both of those show the whole ramp layer. There must be a stupidly simple solution to this that my sleep deprived brain cannot thing of. Suggestions? Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Vector images in AE - cannot change color. Please advise.
on Dec 8, 2010 at 4:14:31 pm

the fill effect should color the layer (it fills it with a solid color, if that is what you are looking for).

however, you mentioned 'moving past the camera' which implies that they are 3d layers. if they are, then 3d layers accept lights, which means that they will turn black if the light is not shining on them, and this may be what is happening.

you can disable lights on any 3d layer in the layer's material properties, set 'accepts lights' to off. or you could add lights to help illuminate the layers.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:11:58 pm

Also, if you want to be able to scale them like vector images, you will need to use the continuously rasterize switch.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kate Perkins
on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:18:25 pm

mostly worried about the color right now. the lights might work, but I'd rather replace the colors.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:26:20 pm

As Kevin mentioned, try the fill effect.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]