ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best way to add transition effects - Workflow question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue Bauer
Best way to add transition effects - Workflow question
on Dec 5, 2010 at 2:17:42 am

Hi, I'm working on a short 3 minute music video with some really quick cuts, some as short as 1 second. I am doing my editing and cutting in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and then I want to add the effects and transitions in After Effects.

When I do many of my effects, such as adding fireworks or muzzle shots, etc. I take each clip, export it as a file from PP and then open it in AE, do my thing, save it as a lossless file and reimport it back into PP.

This works fine for clips a few seconds in length but I cannot do this with a hundred short clips to use the features in AE. How do I do this with lots of really short clips when I want to add effects and transitions in AE? In other words, how should I prepare my super-short clips for editing in AE?

Return to posts index

Andrew Devis
Re: Best way to add transition effects - Workflow question
on Dec 5, 2010 at 8:17:22 am

Hi Sue

You may find my tutorial on the dynamic link wotkflow for premiere pro helpful as it could save you a lot of time. See the tutorials tab and the premiere pro link to find it.

Hope this helps
Andrew

... because it's all about stories ...

Return to posts index

Sue Bauer
on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:24:18 pm

Thanks Andrew. I like your accent! The tutorial I watched, Dynamic Link for the Premiere Pro Workflow, is very helpful for adding text effects but I don't see how it could apply to transitions in AE. If you have any additional advice or tutorials I would appreciate it.

Specifically, several friends are using Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Studio to do cool transitions that will move across and/or blur just the subject and not the whole clip and have a light flash to the heavy beats of the music. How can I do these things in AE? I can do it meticulously by hand but I would like to find more efficient ways to work. Once I learn how they did it, I will be better prepared to come up with my own ideas for effective transitions. I love using special effects and can blow their vids out of the water in that department, but my transitions leave something to be desired. I know that in many cases simple cuts are best, but for music videos I want some razzle dazzle!

Return to posts index

Andrew Devis
on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:45:52 am

Hi Sue

I'm pleased you like my accent, I've been working on it for years ;o)

After effects is THE special effects software so I am sure you will be able to do all these things and more.

As for the music and lights things, see my 2 tutorials on Using Music to control effects -1 & 2. These will show you how to use audio to control any effects you want!

To blur just a person or item you really need to isolate it from the background. To do this I would start by duplicating the layer and then tracking the item or person I wanted to blur. My preference for this kind of tracking would be Mocha for AE if you are using AE CS4 or CS5. If you are using CS5, then still in Mocha I would create a shape around the item or person, link that to the tracking layer and export out the shape date on to the top layer in AE. That way, all you have on the top layer is the item you want to blur or treat.

If I get time, I may do a short mocha tutorial just to demonstrate how this works.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 8, 2010 at 4:33:39 pm

I see that you know people who use FCP a lot. Those transitions are probably accomplished via Motion, which comes bundled with FCP in Final Cut Suite. They may look cool, but they're probably canned effects; Motion makes it very easy to select from a menu of complicated effects and apply them. As long as you make only minor adjustments, you can customize them.

To find something that roughly corresponds to Motion's no-brainer way of doing it, you may want to look at the variety of effects presets and templates already available in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sue Bauer
on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:46:24 pm

Thanks for your help, Dave and Andrew! I appreciate your support of a newbie like myself.

Dave, do you have any tutorials on the presets and templates and what they do? I have played with some of them by clicking them but sometimes it's hard to figure them out on my own. Although I'm a Microsoft software whiz, AE is so powerful that I have trouble finding ways to do things efficiently. I am going through the Lynda tutorials systematically to build a strong foundation, and also using tutorials to reach specific goals and I also think of new ways to use the tutorials which is the idea behind them I believe. I like to take everything to the next level.

Andrew, thanks for your generosity in sharing your knowledge! I will be doing your tutorial in the next day or two. I have to admit I've not had much luck with Mocha previously. I tried two other tutorials in the past and both times something didn't work. I'm very excited about my third attempt though. I have a very optimistic disposition, LOL!

Return to posts index

Sue Bauer
on Dec 11, 2010 at 3:05:20 am

Hi again, Andrew. I tried your Mocha tutorial and I did get further than before but couldn't figure out how to track faster motion. I have a character running back and forth across the scene with a relatively stable background. The contrast is high but the tracking doesn't follow the motion, not even in one direction. Is there a different setting or button that will help? I played around a bit on my own but had no luck. Thanks again for your tutorial though as I'm sure it will help with some shots...but usually my footage moves faster than the boat in your example. :)

Return to posts index

Andrew Devis
on Dec 8, 2010 at 4:02:32 pm

Hi Sue, I've put the tutorial up on using Mocha 2 to separate items in your footage to different layers. Let me know what you think.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]