ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shatter Effect on Non-Text Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Owens
Shatter Effect on Non-Text Layer
on Nov 24, 2010 at 1:32:59 pm

Hi!
I'm literally working on my first ever AE project so please forgive me if I use the wrong terminology :D!
Basically, I found this tutorial: http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-warp-deform-explode-3d-text-after-affects... and I really want to use the Shatter Effect on the piece I'm working on, but the layer isn't a text one and I can't find a tutorial explaining how to use it on an image layer (layer consists of an image brought in from AI). When I apply the effect to the layer a shape is simply cut out of the image leaving an outline with brick-style indentations but produces no bits and pieces flying through the air.
The effect is perfect for what I want to do so massive thanks if anyone can help me out!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Shatter Effect on Non-Text Layer
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:47:13 pm

First change your the view pulldown from "wireframe + forces" to rendered. Twirl down "Shape" and change the pattern from "bricks" to "custom" and then choose the layer itself in the "Custom Shatter Map" pulldown.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Anthony Owens
on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:44:51 pm

Hey, thanks for the response!
Yeah, I think the "explosion" has already happened before the image is even visible. I've looked through the settings and can't seem to find a way if choosing when the "explosion" should happen so I tried splitting the image on the timeline and applying the effect at the time I wanted, but still no joy. Here's a screencap just in case I'm missing something obvious or whatever.

Again, any help is massively appreciated and thanks for responding again!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:13:09 pm

The explosion is caused by the "force" properties. If you change your view back to "forces + wireframe" you will see a big blue ball. This is what breaks apart your layer. You can contol the shatter by either decreasing the radius until it doesn't touch your object or by moving the force. You will then need to keyframe it into the layer you want to shatter.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Anthony Owens
on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:03:28 pm

Hey man thanks for responding again.
Yeah, controlling the scope of the effect isn't really my problem, it's having the effect actually happen which is. I've recorded what's happening and the vid can be viewed here:

As you can see the effect has already passed before the wall is even active rendering the effect useless and weird.
I've since tried duplicating the layer rather than splitting it then applying the effect but still to no avail.
Again, any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:56:45 pm

Check this out; it's two days old:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/202/888250

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anthony Owens
on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:14:33 pm

Thanks for the response!
Despite how fresh that tutorial is it doesn't really help solve my problem (unfortunately). Here's a vid I made to better illustrate what my issue is:

As you can see, there is no shattering, just the end product of the shatter. I've tested on different files and can use the Shatter effect no problem in them, it just seems like for this project it doesn't want to work. On top of splitting the layer and applying the effect to the top layer I've also tried duplicating the layer and applying the effect but still have the same problem.
Any advice is appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]