ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best export settings for text animation with video?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olly howeBest export settings for text animation with video?
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:05:06 am

I am about to start working on a showreel, the first half will be mainly text animation and then the second half will go into a video edit.

My question is what will be the best export/render settings for this project, obviously i want to keep the text nice and crisp and then the video also needs to remain good quality.

I tried rendering out a bit of text yesterday using H.264 settings but the quality of the resulting text was very poor. I know the best option for text animation is an SWF file (correct me if i'm wrong) but this is useless for the video section right?

Any help would be great, i would ideally like to get my head around this before i start the project.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best export settings for text animation with video?
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:58:13 pm

You want to deliver H.264 from After Effects, right? Bad idea. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved