ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After effects cs5 crashes when i try to import MXF Files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david hareAfter effects cs5 crashes when i try to import MXF Files
by on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:33:10 pm

Hi im hoping someone can help me out here. Ive recently just had to reinstall windows onto my pc and now it seems that aload of adobe products dont seem to work.

When i try to import an MXF file filmed from my canon XF300 into After effects cs5 i get this message.

After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was: <2356> <5> C:\Program Films (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\dynamiclink\CS5\dynamiclinkmanager.exe

They import ok in Prmiere but not in after effects. Does anyone know why?

My system specs are
Dell Inspiron 580
Windows 7 64bit
8GB ram
ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
Intel Core i5 750@2.67GHz,2668Mhz, 4cores

It seems that after i reinstalled windows using the windows disc and not the partion i feel theres something missing which is making me think i should reinstall using the partition. Any help would be great.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After effects cs5 crashes when i try to import MXF Files
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:31:34 am

While I applaud your desire to use partitions, I also think you would get great benefit out of a second disk drive, used only for user files. If that isn't possible for you, I understand, but you're on your own: I'm not an IT guy. Case in point: I have no clue if a Dell Inspiron is a desktop or laptop machine.

To come back to your post, I'm with you: I think you should reinstall using the partition if you can't get a second drive. I know it means more work, but you'd be much better off segregating system and application files from user files.

And I have to tell you: 8GB isn't a whole lot for AE. If you can get more memory in that machine of yours, you'll be a lot happier. At work, I run a Mac Pro with 8 GB, and I don't ever think about using multiprocessing; I just don't have the memory to make it work well. So if you have multiprocessing on, I'd turn it off.

One final admonition: if you want to use Open GL to accelerate rendering, don't. Most of the time, it does more harm than good, and the guys at Adobe don't even use it... they turn it off. This probably doesn't have a thing to do with your problems at the moment, but it will be good to know later.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After effects cs5 crashes when i try to import MXF Files
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:52:54 am

Have you installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

david hareRe: After effects cs5 crashes when i try to import MXF Files
by on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:49:54 am

Hi thanks for the replies, firstly I have 2 internal hard drives both 2tb when I say partion I mean the recovery partion. I understand 8gb isn't an amazing amount of ram but before I had to reinstall windows everything worked great so I'm not sure if reinstalling via the recovery partition is better then reinstalling from the windows disc.

As for the update I've run a check to see if any updates are available but it says I'm up to date so I think I'm ok.

This is a real pain and I can't understand why it's happening.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved