ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

MultipleSound Files. Not Good?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aharon Charnov
MultipleSound Files. Not Good?
on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:08:17 pm

I know AE is not an editing program but I am doing some effects to specific sounds that are independent of my dialogue track. When I ram preview my movie I hear the dialogue and see the visuals. But the minute I add an additional .aif file to the comp, I lose my dialogue but I do hear the sound effect. CAN AE not do more that one sound file in a comp? IU really need to stay flexible and don't want to merge all my sound yet.

Is there a way to hear my dialogue and SFX at the same time during the same ram-preview?

Aharon

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: MultipleSound Files. Not Good?
on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:48:15 am

If you add the audio file to a comp, you should hear BOTH the original audio and the sound file.

But here's the fundamental question: how well do you know After Effects? If you think you're just going to do a couple of gee-whiz things in the application, you're sadly mistaken. This is one of these "learn to walk before you run" pieces of software.

For the AE novice, I heartily recommend the following:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

...and if you ARE and after effects novice, you really do need it. There are other fine training tools I can recommend... but not until I've had a look at them myself.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aharon Charnov
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:11:49 am

Dave:

Thanks for the input. Yes, if I add some sounds to a comp I SHOULD hear both sounds. But I'm not. I have Audio on and yet if I have more than one .aif in the comp (even if one is pre-comped) I cannot hear audio at all when I do any sort of previewing. When I render out a movie, the sound does carry over, so it's not completely broken. I have never had this happen before. Still trying to figure it out. As I said I made sure Audio was on....

I opened a new project and did some tests. They all worked so I am really at a loss. Could it be the size of the .aif? The larger one is really quite big although I am previewing only sections as I go through my work area in small increments... As I said, I am a bit stumped.

BTW thanks for the link. Sooner or later I read everything.

Aharon

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:43:22 pm

Here's a possibility: you haven't updated AE 10 to AE 10.0.1 with the free download from Adobe. This free update fixes a lot of AE weirdness, including AIFF weirdness.

Prior to version 10, AE never had problems with aiff files. Go figure. Happily, the update fixes it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]