ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to cover up blood splatter with actor?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
piff aroni
how to cover up blood splatter with actor?
on Nov 20, 2010 at 6:00:50 pm

I am using a blood splatter effect on the wall but there is a couple of frames where the actor passes over the blood splatter, and I need the actor to cover the blood splatter and as of now, the blood splatter covers him.

how can I achieve having the actor cover up the blood instead?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: how to cover up blood splatter with actor?
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:25:34 pm

First, you need to isolate the actor (foreground) from the background. Then, when you've done that, you put the layer that just includes the actor over the blood splatter layer, which is on top of the background layer.

You will probably need to use rotoscoping (frame-by-frame animation of masks) to isolate the foreground from the background.

This is basic compositing. See this page for some introductory material about compositing.

Perhaps you should begin here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:32:31 pm

Duplicate the video layer in question, put it above the splatter, animate a mask around the portions of the actor that need to cover up the splatter, and trim this layer's in and out points so it's no longer than it absolutely needs to be.

Your mask on the actor doesn't have to be around the entire actor: just the parts of the actor's body that cover the splatter. However, the edges of the actor's body that cross in front of the splatter have to be extremely accurate. You may have to animate this mask on a frame-by-frame basis.

Congratulations! You've just done your first bit of elementary rotoscoping.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:36:07 pm

It seems that Dave and I think alike (and I type a bit faster).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:49:38 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "...and I type a bit faster..."

That could be a good thing or a bad thing; almost EVERYBODY types faster than I do, and certainly more accurately than I do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]