ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

what is with all the blakc drop outs!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Middleton
what is with all the blakc drop outs!
on Nov 20, 2010 at 4:38:06 pm

Hi guys,
I am getting constant black drop outs every time I render a project from AE, I rendered it to uncompressed and there are half screen broken up drop outs throughout. SO frustrating. Originally the files are .mov from a Canon 7D, green screen shoot, and heavily composited. I managed to remove the drop outs by rendering to TIFF image sequences, but then when rendering the same sequences to uncompressed .avi, the black drop outs returned.... It makes no sense to me whatsoever.... any ideas? The drop outs are not full screen, and appear in the bottom lower 3rd..... with broken up black sections...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: what is with all the black dropouts?
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:25:31 pm

[Michael Middleton] "...the files are .mov from a Canon 7D.... any ideas?"

Yup, especially if you're running AE 9. Those 7D files are probably still in their H.264 acquisition codec, and prior to the most current version of AE, version 10, such long-gop codecs were toxic to AE, causing all sorts of problems.

The fix: transcode the 7D footage to a high-quality codec for use in AE. Obviously, you don't want to use AE to do this. Try Adobe Media Encoder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mick Middleton
on Nov 21, 2010 at 1:55:17 am

Thanks Dave,
That was my first thought.... But when I rendered all the comps out to an image sequence there was no error. If I then render this clean image sequence out to an uncompressed file, I get the black drop outs... these are not just black frames... they are broken up lower thirds of black.... very weird... I am now rendering without multiprocessor..... looks promising

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 22, 2010 at 3:30:06 am

Well, you didn't say whether you were running AE 9 or not. If you are, and if those Canon video files are still in H.264, YOU ARE STILL GOING TO GET WEIRD THINGS HAPPENING IN AFTER EFFECTS. Okay? You have to change it.

Since you mention multiprocessing, here's something else to watch out for: I wouldn't even bother using it if I had less than 16 GB RAM. Multiprocessing needs a lot of memory, and if you don't have it, don't use it.

One last thing: trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering? Don't turn it off. It too is a source of weirdness.

Bur the prime source of weirdness would be footage in H.264 in AE 9 or earlier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]