ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color Correction Strategy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Jackson
Color Correction Strategy
on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:39:39 pm

When somebody is handed footage, how does one know what to do channel-to-channel other than just visually ball-parking the scenario?

Like I imagine people use scopes etc. But even when they do, what tells them to push something a certain way? Like, if you were only using a primitive color correction tool, what would be the order of operations one approaches in the process?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Color Correction Strategy
on Nov 20, 2010 at 12:20:38 am

use RGB parade.

I've always felt that it's best to set the black and white points, and gamma, prior to attempting any color correction, including white balancing.

I'm sure there are images out there where it's better to use a different order, but I find that getting the overall tonal range of the image right makes any color cast or color temp issue easier to see and therefore get correct.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Nov 20, 2010 at 2:05:42 am

Right, but beyond software what process is used step-by-step to get the job done?

Is color artistry just a "that looks like it needs/has too much..." kind of process?

When one color matches for compositing they handle contrast, each color RG and B, and then highlights etc.

But you can't do that in straight color correction because there's nothing to compare it too?

Is there no standard technique for this process?

Thanks for the link though, I'll check out RGB Parade.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 20, 2010 at 2:37:38 am

Being from broadcasting, I have four words of wisdom on this matter: Vectorscope and Waveform Monitor.

The scopes in Color Finessse, which comes bundled with AE, are an adequate substitute in many cases.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Nov 20, 2010 at 2:43:46 am

Okay, so learning color correction really is like using a ruler.

It's just getting to know the tools "Vectorscope and Waveform Monitor" and that = color correcting?

K, I'll look into Vectorscope and Waveform Monitor process.

Thanks Mr. LaRonde.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 20, 2010 at 5:03:07 am

There's a difference between color CORRECTING and color GRADING.

The first one means that you have all the colors looking the same. The second means that you now give the corrected clips a certain color "look".

The first is also known as "primary color correction".
The second is also known as "secondary color correction".

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on Nov 20, 2010 at 5:23:42 am

ohhhh, okay. That's what people mean by first and secondary CC.

But in the primary, how do I know all colors are the same? I just go be a vectorscope and if so what's ballpark?

Where can I learn what people see on a daily basis? I wish there was an online tutorial just showing common every day CC process using After Effects. That is primary CC. So glad to know that term.

Thanks Mr. LaRonde! :D

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:16:35 am

> I wish there was an online tutorial just showing common every day CC process using After Effects.

There's an entire chapter on color correction in After Effects by Mark Christiansen linked to from
here?

A whole lot of resources come up in this search?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]