ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

time line 'grid' definition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris walkertime line 'grid' definition
by on Nov 19, 2010 at 5:52:48 pm

I'm a newbie to AE although I'm an old hand in flash animation.

Can one change the definition of the grid in the timeline window - or increase the divisions over the portion visible? I don't want to change the unit's of the timecode- from second to feet and inches etc. and this is all I've been able to find directions for in AE help and these forums.

I'd like a 'checker board' effect that would allow me to see intuitively if I'm lining up or staggering keyframes and sequences etc. The low def grid in seconds, frames and 5 frames with no recurring marks on each layer of my timeline means i'm having to 'input' values via typing to be sure. I want the equilvalent of scalable squared paper over my timeline... a fairly old concept... perhaps I'm missing an elephant in my studio? or...??

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: time line 'grid' definition
by on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:08:40 pm

there is a timeline zoom at the bottom of the timeline (a slider that goes from small mountain to big mtns). you can also drag the 'time navigator' start/end points (or handles) at the top of the timeline (above the time values).

neither will give you a grid, but at a certain point as you zoom in you'll see the actual frame that you are on will highlight.

also, for lining up keyframes, if you hold shift while dragging the cti, it will snap to nearby elements in the timeline like keyframes and layer in/out points.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

chris walkerRe: time line 'grid' definition
by on Nov 19, 2010 at 10:00:15 pm

thanks man,

I've been using both the snap and the time line zoom tool... and I'm getting more used to typing specific frame times. But seems a shame you can't simply grid on grid off... the actual scale wouldn't be important but i think i'd find an extrapolated grid - a bit like you see in the graph mode very helpful guide... I like numbers but i'm primarily a picture bloke who belives in 'by eye - for eye' ... merci.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: time line 'grid' definition
by on Nov 20, 2010 at 5:49:35 am

You can file a feature request here: .

Here is more on how to give feedback.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved