ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to import AVI file into Ae project with different resolution and fps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phani MahavrathayajulaHow to import AVI file into Ae project with different resolution and fps
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:33:15 pm

Hi,
My Ae Project settings are 1440x1080 29.97fps. I have a AVI file with 1280x720, separating(lower) with 24fps, millions of colors. When I import and try to add into a new comp, it is not playing well. How can I do it? In general, if I have a different resolution, different fps file how to get into current project?

Second question is, my new comp duration is say 5min but the avi file duration is only 10sec, I want to extend this avi as a background for the entire 10min. How can I extend it? Pl note, I have the .aep project file for this avi file which contains multiple comps.

I appreciate your help with the above two issues.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to import AVI file into Ae project with different resolution and fps
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 5:03:06 pm

First, you have to determine if this is ACTUALLY 24fps, and not the much more common 23.976 fps. Which is it? We can't tell you for sure.

Let's assume it's actually 24 fps. It's a long shot, but it could happen. In AE's Interpret Footage Settings, conform the frame rate to 23.976 fps. then put the footage in its own 23.976 comp, add it to the Render Queue, and open the Render Settings. Find the "Add 3:2 Pulldown" setting, and pick one of the five patterns. Now AE will render a 29.97 file. Use a lossless codec, and reimport into your project.

If the footage actually is 23.976, you can skip conforming the footage to the proper frame rate.

No one can tell you what to do about the resolution until you can determine the resolution you need to deliver.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How to import AVI file into Ae project with different resolution and fps
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 5:20:54 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "No one can tell you what to do about the resolution until you can determine the resolution you need to deliver."

the reason that's important is that by adding a pulldown the the 24p footage to be able to mix it with 29.97, you will be interlacing it. once it is interlaced you won't be able to scale it (or rotate it, or reposition it vertically)...

so if the delivery is 1440x1080, you'll resize the 720p24 footage to that then render it to 29.97 with a pulldown.

however, if you have that 720p24 footage as the original comp, you may be able to rework that to at least be 29.97, render it and use that. that could be as easy as changing the comp's frame rate from 24p to 29.97, or dropping it into a 29.97 comp and rendering.... but that would only work well if the comp did not use any footage or pre-rendered animations that were 24p.

as far as looping the footage to make it longer, and easy way is to select the footage in the project window and choose file>interpret footage>main and set the number of loops at the bottom. you may also need to drag the outpoint of that footage layer out in any comps that it is used.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Phani MahavrathayajulaRe: How to import AVI file into Ae project with different resolution and fps
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:44:23 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the explanation, but here are the actual numbers after I revisited and followed your steps. I am using CS5.

1). In the CS5 Ae project panel I imported the .avi file. Its properties say:
1280x720(1.21), Separating (Lower), 0:00:05:01, 12 fps.

2). So, I conformed it with interpret footage to 29.976 fps. Because, ultimately I want this to be embedded in my comp of 1440x1080 29.976 fps. In the interpret footage window, at the bottom under "Other Options", Pixel Aspect Ratio changed it to HDV 1080 (1.33) from D1/DV NTSC Widescreen (1.21) because, I will be working with HDV footage.

3). Created a new comp of 29.976, added this interpreted footage.
4). Opened render queue and added the 29.976 comp to it. In render queue settings, changed field render to Upper field first and for 3:2 selected the first one WSSWW from five. It shows under "Frame Rate, sampling @ 23.976 fps" Use this frame rate: 29.97. Don't know why the frame rate sampling is at 23.976 even though the interpreted footage is conformed to 29.976 and the original was 12 fps.
5). Rendered it. After rendering, the video quality is blur, the graphic elements have artifacts or haze.

I appreciate if you can help me by reading the above steps how to get a crisp sharper movie rendered.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to import AVI file into Ae project with different resolution and fps
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:50:43 pm

You have your frame rates all messed up!
In the NTSC television system, there is no such frame rate as 29.976. None. Something is wrong if that's what you have.

For normal NTSC TV, the frame rate is 29.97. For NTSC film, the frame rate 23.976.

At 720p, the frame rate in NTSC-Land should be 59.94.

You'll need to do some work to get things straight... and the details DO count.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Phani MahavrathayajulaRe: How to import AVI file into Ae project with different resolution and fps
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:42:03 pm

Hi,
Ok, understand, it was my mistake in putting wrong numbers. I was given a 12fps avi file and want to use it for watching it on a NTSC TV, not film, what should be my steps? Please see the attached files.
1294_screenshot20101117at3.30.39pm.png.zip

1295_screenshot20101117at3.31.07pm.png.zip

In interpret footage, conform to frame rate of 29.97 fps. Should I have to change any thing under the sections "Fields and Pulldown" and "Other options"?

Fields and Pulldown contain 1). Separate fields: 2) Preserve edges (Best quality only) 3). Remove Pulldown

Other options section contain Pixel Aspect Ratio and Loop.

Then, next step is create a new comp of 23.976 right? Tried both 23.976 and 29.97 and added the interpreted footage to it. But I see the blurred edges. Rendered it with 3:2 pull down added. It didn't work.

In simple words, let me know if you were given a 12fps avi file and ask it to use with a 1440x1080 HDV video footage on a NTSC TV, what do you suggest? I appreciate your prompt response.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:42:16 pm

In the Interpret footage window:
  • Conform the footage frame rate to 23.976/2 frames/sec.
  • Set the pixel aspect ratio to square pixels. The footage is already 1280x720.

Once the footage has been interpreted and conformed, do this:
  • Drag the footage onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the footage window.
  • Open the new comp's settings and change the frame rate to 23.976
  • Also in the comp settings, change the resolution to 1440x1080
  • Highlight the layer in the timeline, and scale the footage to fit the comp. The keyboard shortcut is Command-Option-f (Mac) or Ctl-Alt-f (Win).
  • Add the comp to the Render Queue.
  • In the Render Settings, add 3:2 pulldown to create a 29.97 file.
  • Also in the Render Settings, change the Field Order to Upper Field first.

Then render, import, and use in your 1440x1080 comp.

You must also understand that this is a method for using After Effects alone. It does not address the issue of a slow frame rate; it simply is a method to accommodate this frame rate at 29.97 frames/sec. The motion won't look any smoother than it does currently. To smooth out the motion, you would need to create brand-new intermediate frames, created by interpolating the motion of two adjacent frames. This requires frame rate conversion software like Twixtor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]