ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particle Trouble

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt RobinsonParticle Trouble
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 11:47:04 pm

Hi, Im unsure about pre-composing particles? So when particles are falling they don't look like they hit the floor of particle comp and keep falling in the old comp? Is there anyway to do this? Any ideas? Help would be awesome......thanks.

MD

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Particle Trouble
by on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:35:41 pm

what particle system are you using and how are you creating the 'floor'...?

to have the particles react to a floor, the particle system will need to have a 'floor' option in the settings.

if you are using particle world, click the 'options' text at the top of the effects settings, then click the 'rendering' options. there are 4 options for how particles will react to the floor gird: ignore, ice, glue, bounce.

if you are using particular, then your floor settings are in the physics settings. set the physics mode from air to bounce, then choose a 3d layer to act as the floor in the bounce settings. the collision event settings determines how the particles react to the floor.

particle playground can also have particles react to layers, that's done through the two property mapper settings and layer maps... though it would not be my 1st choice to create the effect of particles falling onto a floor.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Matt RobinsonRe: Particle Trouble
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:06:02 am

That is very interesting and thanks for your reply, i'm using AE CS5 and CC Particle world, I know there have been changes to the plug-in and I looked them up when needed from your answer. If I turn floor to transparent or none, the particle in essence will continue falling if the particle comp has been embedded in another comp? I am running into difficulty when the camera is moving up and I want the particle to not be cut off from the particle comp. Is there anyway for this to be done? What does floor turned to none do? What it suggests.....

MD

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Particle Trouble
by on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:20:36 pm

[Matt Robinson] "i'm using AE CS5 and CC Particle world, I know there have been changes to the plug-in and I looked them up when needed from your answer."

sorry about that, i just read a post about some changes made to the cc effects for cs5... it sounds like the floor properties may now be in the physics properties. i'm glad you found them.

[Matt Robinson] "If I turn floor to transparent or none, the particle in essence will continue falling if the particle comp has been embedded in another comp? I am running into difficulty when the camera is moving up and I want the particle to not be cut off from the particle comp."

i'm trying to under stand your comp structure... it sounds like you have the particle comp nested inside another comp and have a 3d camera move...

if that's the case, then i don't think you'll be able to have the particle comp work properly. you'll need to have the particle effect in the same comp as the camera to have it react normally to the camera (even if collapse transformations is on)... and what you may be seeing is the bottom of the particle comp is cutting off the particles.

if this is the case, you can try to copy/paste the particle layer(s) from the particle comp to the camera comp and see if that creates the effect you want.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Matt RobinsonRe: Particle Trouble
by on Nov 18, 2010 at 2:45:58 am

I think I was believing something could happen when it can't. You answered that for me, thanks for your time. Much appreciated....

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]