ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Recommended Laptop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noman rahim
Recommended Laptop
on Nov 15, 2010 at 12:51:09 pm

Hello every one,

I want to know that which is the best laptop or recommended laptop for graphics like using adobe after effects cs 5 or 3d studio max cause m sick of using my slow compaq :) wat specs should i look for in new laptop n the money may not inc 1200$ US . THANNX

Master MAD

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Recommended Laptop? NONE -- get a desktop.
on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:49:29 pm

Laptops are notoriously light on RAM, which is the single thing AE needs most to perform at its best.

If you don't mind that you'll be unable to do everything in AE that other people can do, knock yourself out -- get a laptop. Otherwise, a desktop machine is the way to go. Think about putting 16-24 GB RAM in it. Or more, if you can afford it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 15, 2010 at 5:59:48 pm

unless you really needed portability, a desktop would be far better for the money, and you could still keep you laptop for when you really needed portability...

i work mostly with macs, and do a lot of spec'ing for our upgrades, so i'm pretty familiar with what apple has and what their lines are capable of... so based on what apple offers and what you'd get performance wise in ae:

a macbook pro (core i7) can hold 8gb of ram and will render in ae about half as fast as an imac (core i7) with the same ram.

the imac core i7 will can 16gb of ram and will render ae about half as fast as a macpro.

the macpro will hold 32gb, and ae can use all that ram.

so, i would estimate that any laptop will give you about 1/4 the performance in ae, that a desktop could...

another benefit for desktops and using 3d apps would be the ability to upgrade the graphics card. a would already have a mid-to-lower end gpu and that would effect the usability in apps like 3ds.

however, if you go with a laptop, go with one with as processing power as you can get (roughly cores x speed), and try to get around 2gb of ram per core.

also, don't skimp on the processor, ie, don't get a lesser processor (like the core i3) over better one (core i7) just because they have the same speed. the better processor will out perform the lesser when you are using pro applications.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Noman rahim
on Nov 15, 2010 at 7:24:49 pm

Sir thx for reply n post but the prob is that i need a lap top caus this is the requirement of my job because m not a professional of graphics i work for some bank its my part time work thats y so plz reocmmend

Master MAD

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 15, 2010 at 10:50:53 pm

i can't point at a specific laptop and say buy this one (i don't work enough with laptops)...

but processing power and ram have the biggest impact on performance in ae. so, what you would want to look for is a laptop in your price range that will give you the most processing power (cores x ghz) and hold the most ram (or at least enough ram to give you 1-2gb of ram per core, and that includes virtual cores with hyper-threading).

i wouldn't be concerned about hard drive speed or size (you can easily add usb/firewire drives or even external sata drives as needed). nor would i be overly concerned about gpu... however, since you are using 3ds, you may see if you can find one with a gpu that meets the minimum requirements of 3ds.

i'd also stay away from budget processors (like the atom, even core2duo) in favor better cpus (like the core i5, i7).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Noman rahim
on Nov 15, 2010 at 7:23:16 pm

Sir thank u so much for ur advise i ll try to get desktop but if don't then wat to do cause my work is so that i cant go with desktop so this the prob......

Master MAD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]