ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

a silly question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Areful Eeslama silly question
by on Nov 13, 2010 at 8:27:09 pm

Hello, my query might seems silly to lot of people but i need to know, so please be patience.
Is it mandatory to have a capture card or color card while editing & color grading on after effect /premiere pro with professional plugins like red giant, mac book pro doesn't have any card in it (except very fine graphics card) but can produce good result. so what if i don't don't use a capture card but use the proper codec ie; h.264 or p2 as source video required on desktop pc? pls post your verdict.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: a silly question
by on Nov 13, 2010 at 10:14:12 pm

It is not necessary to have a capture card or color card to edit and color grade in After Effects or Premiere Pro with professional plugins like Red Giant. You obviously need a way to get video footage into a computer to work with it in After Effects or Premiere Pro, which is the only time a capture card is needed ... you can capture on another computer that does have a capture card and copy the footage to any other computer with After Effects or Premiere Pro to edit or grade.

Return to posts index

Areful EeslamRe: a silly question
by on Nov 13, 2010 at 11:42:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. actually im more on to hd record hence no tape involved, i'll import directly to NLE & with the help of necessary codec i can edit. I just wasn't sure without a capture or color card am i going to get full quality result. Someone told me that i wont get full quality output without a professional capture card so im confused.

let the verdicts come in please....

Regards

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: a silly question
by on Nov 14, 2010 at 4:43:22 am

> Thanks for the reply. actually im more on to hd record hence no tape involved, i'll import directly to NLE & with the help of necessary codec i can edit. I just wasn't sure without a capture or color card am i going to get full quality result. Someone told me that i wont get full quality output without a professional capture card so im confused.

let the verdicts come in please....

Again: No. You don't need a capture card to work with After Effects. A capture card has no benefit to After Effects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2010 at 12:39:15 am

David is right.

Areful, if you insist on cross-posting the same question to identical forums, please do everyone a favor and also cross-post the answers that you get so that no one wastes time answering you in one place when you've already gotten an answer somewhere else.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2010 at 5:53:14 am

Thanks for the reply. I get the point now.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2010 at 6:07:38 am

Thanks for your reply. But your verdict on not having a capture/color card also applicable for premiere pro (if i dont require it for capture from tape), right?

Regards

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2010 at 6:13:35 am

> But your verdict on not having a capture/color card also applicable for premiere pro (if i dont require it for capture from tape), right?

You should ask your Premiere Pro questions on the Premiere Pro forum, not the After Effects Basics forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: a silly question
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 5:35:05 pm

When the terms "color correction" or "color grading" come up, it all depends on what you're expected to deliver.

If your work is simply destined for youtube, vimeo or video blogging, I suppose using a computer display is just fine. But if your work is destined for other things -- network broadcast, film, Blu-Ray, high-end corporate, to name a few -- it seems that you would want your work to look its best. It seems that it would be good to use an accurate, calibrated and LARGE video monitor. Such a display needs a capture card, and they don't fit in laptops.

Technology has not yet progressed to the point where you can say to yourself, "I've got an HDV camera, I've got a laptop, I've got the WORLD!"

You only have a tiny portion of the world.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Nov 15, 2010 at 8:04:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave. In that case if i work on desktop & use a good graphics card or I/O card will it give correct calibration, what i mean to say is display/IO cards are cheaper than professional capture or color card. My work is for broadcast, so accuracy is important for me, having said that i do need an inexpensive solution. Please forgive me if i sound blunt.

Waiting for suggestions.

Regards

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: a silly question
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 8:13:29 pm

[Areful Eeslam] "My work is for broadcast, so accuracy is important for me, having said that i do need an inexpensive solution. "

If that is the case, there isn't much you can do. You have to take your chances.
You are, as they say in America, caught between a rock and a hard place.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]