COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cesar meloRendering in AE CS3
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 5:31:21 pm

Hello people,

im working on a MAC 2x 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel

10GB 667 ddr2 FB-DIMM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

I´m having problems with AE CS3 when exporting trough render queue.

It always crashes using H.264 codec or NONE.

i want to know if someone could help me setting up the preferences
for the best to this MAC.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering in AE CS3
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 5:51:09 pm

You have a few things going on that aren't helping you:

If you use Open GL to make rendering faster, turn it off. It does more harm than good.
If you use multiprocessing to make rendering faster, you should remember that the operating system and any other open applications need memory. Read this:

You shouldn't use AE to render H.264 files. Here's why:
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Finally, since you're using AE CS3, the footage in your project may be making AE crash. Here's an explanation:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Rendering in AE CS3
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:06:53 pm

first off, you should never use ae to render to h.264 or mpeg-2 based codecs. render from ae at the highest possible quality codec (uncompressed, lossless animation, photo-jpeg, prores, etc) and use a compression utility to compress to those types of files.

but you mentioned that it crashed when rendering to 'none', so i don't think the crash is related to the compression.

by your machine description i think it is a 2008 macpro. if i'm thinking of the right machine, the ram configuration of those macs is very specific, and you can not only get poor performance if it is installed incorrectly, but you can also get stability issues.

see this page for some info on configuration:

if you have the manual, that will help too.

you can find the current configuration for your ram by choosing 'about this mac' from the apple menu and clicking the more info button and selecting 'memory' from the hardware properties. then compare what you see there with what you find in the manual or that webpage...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Rendering in AE CS3
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:20:39 pm

the link i provided doesn't really show the ram slot and riser configurations that you should use for installing ram...

here's a link to the manual, if you don't have yours:

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathanRe: Rendering in AE CS3
by on Nov 14, 2010 at 3:53:03 am

YES, Never Render Compressed file from AE. Always Render full HI-DEF and use some other program to do the various compressions. It saves a lot of time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved