ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

warp compositing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ghastwarp compositing
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:48:08 am

I'd like to warp one image (a logo) over the perceived contours of another (an object), problem is they're both flat. What's the easiest way to go about this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: warp compositing
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:22:00 am

I'd suggest using the Displacement Map effect, and you'll DEFINITELY want to read up on how it works in AE's online Help... it's searchable.

...and you can search for Displacement Map.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David GhastRe: warp compositing
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 5:38:29 am

i looked at a few tutorials and all it does is destroy the top image. In addittion it doesnt warp as i move the top layer over the bottom.

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathanRe: warp compositing
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:52:11 pm

Is it possible to post the image, if its going to be a primitive shapes then you can use the sphere or cylinder to wrap the image and fake that its on the main object.

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: warp compositing
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:26:18 pm

[David Ghast] " it doesnt warp as i move the top layer over the bottom"

once you apply a compound effect like displacement map, the compound layer (layer map) becomes part of the layer, so if you use the typical layer transform properties, they behave as a single layer (they are infact a single layer).

what you'll need to do is do the transform of the layer prior to the displacement map effect. you can do that two ways. one is to precomp the logo and do your transform animations in the precomp, the other is to add the transform effect (effect>distort>transform) above the displacement map effect.

the transform effect will give you similar transform controls (anchor point, position, rotation, etc.). animate your logo layer using the transform effect controls and it will move independent of the layer map.

now, as far as if displacement map is the best way to go, we would need to have a better idea of what you are working with, and what you want it to look like... posting a jpeg of the background image/footage and a better description of how you want to composite the logo onto it would help.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: warp compositing
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 8:20:25 pm

As others have said, we need to see the specifics to make good recommendations. Often, the Reshape effect is a good way to fit something to a contour---but it depends.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

David GhastRe: warp compositing
by on Nov 13, 2010 at 8:20:19 pm

this is the background

http://www.public-domain-image.com/studio/slides/blue-sea-shell-on-white-ba...

and the foreground is just an .ai logo imported as a single layer. I wanted the logo to pan across the shell as if it were on glass with a light moving slowly behind it.

Return to posts index

sanjeev ramanathanRe: warp compositing
by on Nov 14, 2010 at 3:44:55 am

You can do a simple model in 3d and wrap your logo there and do whatever animation you want, and bring only the logo with alpha to After Effects and do the composition here.

Thanks
sanj.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]