ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE - Applying a glow effect to specific area/colors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan LesterAE - Applying a glow effect to specific area/colors
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 5:51:52 pm

Hey gang. I'm doing some stop motion animation and the figure I'm working with has some transparent green parts. I thought it would be cool to have just those part glow as if they were lit up.
The problem is that the entire figure is either purple, green, or orange. And there are both transparent and non-transparent green parts. So I would only want it applied to the top portion.
How can I accomplish this? (I'm still new to AE, so when I messed with the default glow effect, it was a bit confusing)
Is this possible within after effects without plug-ins? If not, what and where do I need to get them?

Oh, and here's a pic of the figure I'm using. This was photoshoped, so the parts seem to already be glowing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE - Applying a glow effect to specific area/colors
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 12:49:09 am

You know how much time it took to get that Photoshop picture looking just right? Multiply that by about 10 or so for each second of stop-motion animation.

The way you'd do this in AE is to apply a Glow to the entire picture... but you don't want the entire picture to glow. So you'd have to animate masks around the portions of the picture you DID want to glow, then apply the Glow effect, and put the result over a duplicate of the stop-motion animation on a lower layer.

If you're an AE newbie, you really ought to take the time to look at Todd Kopriva's blog about Getting Started in AE on the Adobe web site. AE's a great application, but it's also one of those "learn to walk before you run" applications.

If you're familiar with Photoshop, a lot of the concepts are similar, but AE does them differently.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jody LintonRe: AE - Applying a glow effect to specific area/colors
by on Nov 7, 2010 at 9:41:50 pm

Hi, was thinking you could perhaps try duplicating your final image/animation layer and applying a "Linear Colour Key" (under effects) to it so it only glows a certain colours, use the eyedropper to select the green you want to key out, set it to "use chroma", takes a bit of playing around to get what you want, then also "blur" the layer a bit too so you dont get ugly edges! Then create an adjustment layer in-between your Keyed layer and your final image/animation layer and apply a glow to it. Set the adjustment layer to "Tack Matte - alpha inverted" (you'll find it under the layer menu at the top). The top "colour keyed" layer will also turn its visiblity to "off" automatically which is good because you just want the adjustment layer to use it basically as an alpha channel, here's how the order of your layers might look.....

1) ROBOT ANIMATION LAYER - Effect "Linear Colour Key" - Eyedrop Green to key out", add Fast blur too?
2) ADJUSTMENT LAYER - Glow. Set "Track matte" to Alpha Invert

Return to posts index

Jonathan LesterRe: AE - Applying a glow effect to specific area/colors
by on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:06:14 pm

Thanks guys! I'll give these a try once I have all my footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved