ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Title Safe from HD to SD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake mendezTitle Safe from HD to SD
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 2:57:42 pm

ok, so i did a quick search and couldnt find this elsewhere.

I created a project full hd 1920x1080, with part of the video having disclaimer type that stretches to the edges of title center cut title safe. We are finishing the project for now by putting to beta SP tape, in SD format for broadcast. it will be a straight crop down to SD, when i bring the HD finished file into a NTSC D1 720x486 comp, it shows that my disclaimer text is all out of title safe. Why is the title safe area different for my HD comp, and the NTSC D1 comp? do i need to go back to the working comp and resize the disclaimer even smaller? thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Title Safe from HD to SD
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:29:52 pm

i personally think that the centercut title safe in ae is off...

you can change it in preferences>grid & guides. i have my centercut action safe set at about 32.5% and title at 40%.

i arrived at those values by creating my own guide comp in a 4x3 d1 standard comp with two layers. one had a mask drawn at action safe (10%) and the other with a mask drawn at title safe (20%).

i brought that comp into a 16x9, 720hd, square pixel comp (though you should be able to use any 16x9 comp) and chose layer>transform>fit comp height to perfectly scale the 4x3 sd comp to fill the hd screen height. then adjusted the centercut safeties.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Jake mendezRe: Title Safe from HD to SD
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:44:38 pm

yes you are right it is off. jacked my world up but now i know, thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Title Safe from HD to SD
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:50:05 pm

I use a vaguely-similar method to Kevin's.... but not. As usual, Kevin's is more elegant.

My TV station broadcasts both in 720p HD and 4x3 SD, and they center-punch HD to broadcast SD. I work in 720p a lot, which is 960x720 with a 1.33 Pixel aspect ratio.

So I made a comp at 960x720 with SQUARE pixels -- it's 4x3. I used 2 solids: one at 30% opacity, and the other with mask paths for center point, title safe and action safe. Then I rendered it out.

I just add it to my 720p comps -- it comes in as 4x3 automatically -- and I don't worry any more.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Title Safe from HD to SD
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 5:33:27 pm

The center-cut guides in CS4 were off, but they're fixed in After Effects CS5.

In After Effects CS4, the default center cut action-safe margin was 30%, and the default title-safe margin was 35%. In After Effects CS5, the default center cut action-safe margin is 32.5%, and the default title-safe margin is 40%.

See "Safe zones, grids, guides, and rulers"

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved