ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram Previews not long enough

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jody Linton
Ram Previews not long enough
on Nov 4, 2010 at 2:28:20 am

Hi,

Newbie here at CC! I was wondering if anyone knew how to increase the length that a "Ram Preview" gives, some of the projects I'm working on are over a minute long I find it only previews about 30secs through and I seem to be running into this problem quite a bit now even at "quarter resolution & at 25%" . Are there any settings in preferences that I can adjust that lets me see a longer Ram Preview? (I havent touched them too much really)

Cheers

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Ram Previews not long enough
on Nov 4, 2010 at 4:33:25 am

What version of After Effects?

See "FAQ: Why does RAM preview only play part of my composition?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 4, 2010 at 1:33:27 pm

If you run out of RAM... explore Disk Cache options

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:03:26 pm

The other two gents know their stuff, that's for sure. Thus, you should answer their questions and listen to their advice.

It's tough to answer your question because we don't know a lot of variables that influence the length of your RAM Preview: H&V resolution, frame rate, AE version, how your AE preferences are set, other open applications... and of course the amount of memory you have.

We're flying blind. Okay, not totally blind, but the windshield's fogged over.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:36:22 pm

in addition to the down sampling that you are currently doing, you can set ram preview (or shift-ram preview) to skip frames. skipping 1 frame will double the duration that you can preview. the setting is in the preview controls (window>preview).

you can also use the region of interest feature that allows you to preview just a portion of the comp. it's the button next to the down sample dropdown. click it and draw a rectangle around just a portion of the comp viewer.

of course the other option is to get more ram, a 64-bit os, and cs5 which will be able to address a lot more ram for ram previews.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jody Linton
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:15:47 pm

Thanks, I'm using CS4 on a Mac Pro with 2x 3GHZ Quad Core and 10GB of Ram and usually working in 1920x1080, I havent really touched my preferences in AE except I turned "Render multiple frames simultaneously" on only affects final output. Depending on how graphics heavy the project is I usually get about 20seconds of preview using Ram and I usually have Photoshop running at the same time too. Ah, I hadn't even noticed the region of interest icon next to down sampling and will check the "drop frame" out too.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:23:53 pm

I think you ought to read this thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/989773#989799

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jody Linton
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:34:29 pm

Cool, thanks for the link Dave, very helpful.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Lauro Garcia
on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:58:13 pm

Hi Jody,

This might help you. It certainly did me. http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

Goodluck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]