ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing a tranparant image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike VonnerImporting a tranparant image
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:03:52 pm

i have a gif image with one layer. The image is tranparant. when i import it into AE (CS5) it has a white background. i would like it to be tranparant...how do i do that?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Importing a tranparant image
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:37:53 pm

Gifs don't actually support alpha channels; they actually use a pretty weird way to deal with transparency. Here's a thread on it.

Basically, since it's a gif, you can just use the color key on the color where it's supposed to be transparent and you shouldn't have a problem. However, GIF is a pretty terrible type of file format to use for video, why not save it out as a Photoshop file (which does support Alpha channels with VARYING levels of opacity)?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mike VonnerRe: Importing a tranparant image
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:52:05 pm

Thanks, i have the picture in many formats, including psd and eps. The problem is, in CS5, when i go to save, the alpha channel is greyed out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing a tranparant image
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:07:08 pm

[Mike Vonner] "when i go to save, the alpha channel is greyed out."

You need to save it in a codec that supports alpha channels, like quicktime's animation, png, and prores 4444 codecs.

If you don't have final cut suite 3 installed on your AE machine, you won't have the prores codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]