ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

background effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Bennetbackground effect
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:29:58 pm

I'm trying to create something similar to this revostock project:

How can I create such a background - how is it done? I don't know where to start? Any tutorials out there?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: background effect
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:16:28 pm

You can get pretty hi-rez Spherical Earth maps from NASA; I don't have the URL handy, I'm afraid. That's the easy part.

Now, the big question: how much experience do you have with After Effects?

This is pretty much all 2D work. You could do it by working with multiple precomps using CC Sphere, each with a different radius, with the Earth map sphere at the center. In the center Earth Sphere, you'd key out the oceans, and use the Fill effect for one color, and use a comp-sized solid with the opacity turned down for the semi-transparency. You'll need to have two instances of the red stripe precomps making the inside and the outside of the spheres above & below the center sphere layer. Animate the red stripes in the precomps. The grayscale background would simply be additional spheres scaled up.

If that didn't make a whole lot of sense, know that AE is one of those "learn to walk before you run" types of applications, and you can get a big jump on learning to walk here:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved