ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Flares and transparency

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed RomeroFlares and transparency
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 1:23:00 pm

I'm creating a title with a flare that makes the titles appear. But without the footage, or any layer under the flare layer, I don't see the flare(flash of light effect)

How can I make that flash of light(flare) appear without any layers below it?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Flares and transparency
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:43:08 pm

There's nothing that says you can't add temporary, substitute footage just to get an idea of what you're doing....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ed RomeroRe: Flares and transparency
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:23:21 pm

hey Dave,

How can I make the flare visible without any footage below it to render the comp(with no footage/solid when rendered)?

When I render out the comp with no footage the flare is gone... So I'm wondering if there is a way to render the comp with the flare (light flash effect) to be able to overlay it in Final Cut as a title. Even when I turn off the footage in After effects, the flare is gone, but if I turn the footage back on then I see the flare.

Is this possible without any footage/solid below the flare layer? I can think of another way which does require the footage and creating a mask of the area I want to affect, but I'm wondering if there is a better quicker way?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Flares and transparency
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:38:44 pm

Ever hear of Alpha Channels? Check these out:
http://podcasts.creativecow.net/search.php?q=multimedia+101

Look for the ones mentioning "Alpha Channel" and "Straight", because FCP wants you to use a Straight Alpha Channel.

The PNG & Animation codecs in Quicktime support alpha channels.

But if you're using blending modes (Add, Overlay, Screen, etc) to get the look you want, you'll be disappointed with the result once you get into FCP. It's better to do the entire shot including the background in AE.

Just 'cause you CAN use Alpha-canneled footage in FCP doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 27, 2010 at 7:29:48 pm

Thanks again Dave. Links were informative.

However, the only issue I have is that with the footage layer turned off, I can't see the flare in AE. (Blend mode set to normal on flare layer)
I don't think my question is clear enough.

Return to posts index

andrew donaldsonRe: Flares and transparency
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 8:19:49 pm

Are you applying the flare to an adjustment layer?

If you are, then you'll need something underneath it, even if its just a black solid.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:29:35 pm

Hey Andrew

Yes it's an adjustment layer. However I can't use a solid below the adjustment layer because I need to see through the solid. (overlay/screen wont work)
I just need the flare to affect the text layer, but without the footage or a solid of some kind, the flare does not affect the text.

CURRENT LAYOUT IN TIMELINE:
1)Adjustment layer with Flare effect. (Adjustment layer affecting layers behind it is active)
2)Pre-comp composition containing animated text and another pre-comped compositing within containing animated lines.
3)Footage.

The flare won't affect the Pre-comped text layer(2) unless I have the bottom layer [(1) Footage] visible, or a solid.

Just noticed Chris's post. Will check it out to see if that helps.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Flares and transparency
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 8:42:43 pm

sometimes even with an alpha channel, you want a boost. You probably found that out with transfer modes. If you like the look of premultiplied effects, you get them separated again with this post.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/989045#989055
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/988892#988892

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Flares and transparency
by on Oct 29, 2010 at 1:38:18 pm

You can apply your lens flare to a black solid and use the free Unmult plugin (Google should find it pretty fast) to make it transparent.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]