ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Weird rendering with OpenGL in AE CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach BoothWeird rendering with OpenGL in AE CS4
by on Oct 24, 2010 at 11:56:29 am

Is this normal in ANY of the OpenGL fast preview settings? I don't seem to get this at all with OpenGL fast preview rendering off. Attached is the image.

It says I have OpenGL 2.0+ so I assume my card is compatible.

Before I was getting weird artifacts when rendering, followed by a BSOD.

In the image attached, I applied a circular mask to a fractal noise layer, however, it's rendering as a square for some reason when I do "always on" for OpenGL, and for the first OpenGL option it renders as a square only when I scroll through the timeline.

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Weird rendering with OpenGL in AE CS4
by on Oct 24, 2010 at 5:15:50 pm

From the Adobe CS4 online help

Important: Because not all features of a composition can be rendered with OpenGL—and because some features that can be rendered with OpenGL are rendered with different results—you may only want to use OpenGL rendering to accelerate previews and to provide faster rendering for non-final results.

Basically...Open GL does not work well. It can be helpful when placing items in 3D space. Never for Rendering. Most of us never use it.

-Andy George
Senior Editor

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Weird rendering with OpenGL in AE CS4
by on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:23:24 pm

I agree with Andy. Don't use OpenGL for rendering except for the OpenGL - Interactive Fast Preview mode.

If you want this from a greater authority, I can tell you that the guy who wrote the OpenGL renderer (whose office is just down the hall from mine) agrees.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Zach BoothRe: Weird rendering with OpenGL in AE CS4
by on Oct 24, 2010 at 10:54:22 pm

Tech support from Adobe engineers? That was too awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with this. That's crazy that you're so close to the guy who wrote OpenGL.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved