ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problems with preview and quicktime (more ram needed?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diewer LalemanProblems with preview and quicktime (more ram needed?)
by on Oct 23, 2010 at 6:45:16 pm

Hi,

When i want to (RAM)preview the comp it goes really slow, like frame per frame. When i render it to a quicktime movie the outcome isn't good either. The movie falters at big parts, freezes frames and then continues but the frames between the freeze are lost. Now i must say the footage is HD (1920x1080) and i only have 4g ram. Could that be the problem? So if i upgrade my ram would i be able to preview it and render it propperly?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problems with preview and quicktime (more ram needed?)
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:20:46 am

Well, with AE, the more RAM, the better... but you may not be able to put in any more. Win XP only sees 4GB, for example.

But that's neither here nor there right now. To make an accurate diagnosis, you have to tell us about your computer, the processors, OS, AE version, and the kind of footage you're using.

"HD" ain't good enough. Highlight a clip in the project window, look at the top for all the information revealed, and tell us about the codec of this footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Diewer LalemanRe: Problems with preview and quicktime (more ram needed?)
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:16:56 am

The computer i have is an iMac (late 2009) with 4gig Ram. But i can expand it up to 16gig.
The OS is Snow Leopard (10.6.3). AE version is CS5, the processor of my computer is 2,66-GHz Intel Core i5-processor.

If i render my comp at half of the qaulity i have no problems, but when it is in full quality it has playback problems like dropping frames and so.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problems with preview and quicktime (more ram needed?)
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:59:03 pm

[Diewer Laleman] "The computer i have is an iMac (late 2009) with 4gig Ram. But i can expand it up to 16gig."

I'd do that as soon as I could. 4GB is nothing in AE-Land. Until you get the extra RAM, turn off multiprocessing. You don't have enough memory to make it work properly.

And when you do get more memory, read up on this:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

...and be absolutely certain to read the update near the bottom, okay?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Diewer LalemanRe: Problems with preview and quicktime (more ram needed?)
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:42:13 pm

Thank you for the advice! I will get more RAM assap!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]