ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

new to AE and need some basics

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dorit grunbergernew to AE and need some basics
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:54:58 pm

I would like to use Colorista II (Red Giant) to do some color correction in AE of a video project. It's about 16 minutes long (DV-NTSC, SD).
The basic question is: How much of my FCP footage can I bring in at a time? Does each clip have to be a self-contained .mov or should I bring in all the clips that need same color correction into one project?
Also, does it make any sense to 1st export the clips as self contained movies with no sound? In my case there is no editing done to sound, so it's not needed and might save space and render time?

Thanks in advance for insight,

Dorit

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: new to AE and need some basics
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:06:07 pm

Isn't Colorista II also avilable in FCP?

I'm a big AE fan, but I'd think about doing the color correction in FCP, using a ProRes 422 edit timeline.

DV doesn't stand up to re-rendering very well AT ALL: you'll get a big drop in image quality. By working in ProRes 422, any rendering is done in the codec of the timeline, and if your timeline is ProRes, you won't lose image quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: new to AE and need some basics
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:21:36 pm

There are scripts and programs intended to bring FCP projects into AE. You can have as many clips in the timeline as you want. The actual workflow depends on the specific project and your personal preference. Here's an explanation of basic workflow in AE.

I agree with Dave that, if all you're doing is Color Correction and some Color Grading, you might look into just doing it in your NLE. However, I'm more comfortable working in AE for such things, but that's because I'm more of an AE guy than an editor.

As someone just starting out in AE, I would suggest you check out these resources. Getting a decent foundation in AE will prevent much frustration in the future.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

dorit grunbergerRe: new to AE and need some basics
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:17:28 pm

Hi to you both

Colorista II does work in FCP but it isn't as easy to use or view as it is in AE.

Dave, are you suggesting that I change my sequence settings to 422 even though my footage was all shot as DV/SD, 24pa? If I understood that correctly, if I export self contained movies from that sequence timeline, will the footage fair better imported into AE? Colorista is very appealing to me at the moment because I can use shapes (mattes) to isolate very specific parts of the frame to color correct.

if I do import uncompressed movies into AE, what settings for the project should I use? and what settings should I use for sending it back out of AE without loss of quality?

Michael, thanks for the links. I'm pretty bummed out right now about the loss of quality issue betweenin a round trip between FCP and AE. I wasn't aware of that at all.

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:47:31 pm

[dorit grunberger] "if I export self contained movies from that sequence timeline, will the footage fair better imported into AE?"

Correct. Especially if you run AE and FCP on the same machine. You'll be able to render out in ProRes 422, which is a MUCH higher-quality codec than DV. Your AE render (also in ProRes 422) will play back without having to be rendered in FCP.

AE's not on the same machine? Get the Prores Reader for Quicktime (free), do your color correction, and render using Quicktime's PNG codec (lossless). You'll have to render in FCP, but you won't lose any image quality.

[dorit grunberger] "Colorista is very appealing to me at the moment because I can use shapes (mattes) to isolate very specific parts of the frame to color correct."

Okay, you talked me into it. AE's much better at shapes and masking than FCP could ever hope to be. Knock yourself out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 10:25:39 pm

Thanks Dave

In the sequence settings in FCP, do you set the QT video settings compressor to 422 or 422 (HQ)? In the video processing pane, do you set Render 10-bitin high precision YUV? What about the motion filtering quality? In the Render Control pane, what do you set the Codec and Master Templates and Motion to? I do have some motion clips in there as well.

Having asked that on the FCP end of things, the settings and their locations are a bigger black box for me on the AE end. Would you be so kind as to baby-step me through how/where I should set up to accommodate the FCP .mov files, and also how best to export them?

And then I promise to leave you in peace :-).
Thanks so much (Monday deadline, I'm schvitzing)

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 10:38:53 pm

[dorit grunberger] "In the sequence settings in FCP, do you set the QT video settings compressor to 422 or 422 (HQ)?"

• Duplicate your FCP edit timeline for safety's sake.
  • In the duplicate, go to Sequence>Settings. change the codec to ProRes 422.
  • From this timeline, export a self-contained quicktime movie.
  • Import it into AE, and drag the clip onto the Make Comp Icon at the bottom of the Project Window.
  • Do your AE voodoo.
  • Highlight the comp in the project window, find the "Add to Render Queue" command (under File? Comp? I forget).
  • In the resulting Render Queue item, Open the Output Module controls, and set the Codec to ProRes 422.
  • Save the Project.
  • Hit the Render button.

You should be able to handle the rest.

[dorit grunberger] "Monday deadline, I'm schvitzing"

Ugh. That sounds like something you'd want a bucket & mop to clean up.
But then, I don't know my Yiddish very well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:01:51 pm

A tip of my hat to you.

Thanks kindly,

Dorit

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:15:46 pm

Oh crap! I got a message saying that the codec couldn't be found anfd that I might not have a certain card...
I'm trying it again.
The settings I chose are: QT video settings compressor ProRes 422 (HQ), the video processing pane set to: Render 10-bit in high precision YUV and the motion filtering quality to best. In the Render Control pane, I set the Codec to ProRes 422 and Master Templates and Motion to best.

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

by on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:41:51 pm

Well, I isolated the problem to a clip I made in photoshop. It was saved as a jpeg, so I don't know what the problem is. I'll try to work around it. At least I know it isn't the whole sequence.

Thanks again and sorry for the extra bother.

Thanks in advance,
Dorit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]