ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using the timeline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew MooreUsing the timeline
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:35:40 pm

I'm very confused because I'm very used to sony vegas but AAE is a bit steeper. Basically I need help with video in audio syncing. For example, in Vegas what I would do is press play with an audio track, and everytime I heard a beat I would press 'M' to put a marker there while it's playing then I would insert my videos to where I would sync it. How would I do that in AAE. Also, is there anyway I can put all my clips into one layer? If I can get answers for those two questions, I'll have a much easier time with AAE.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Using the timeline
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:45:52 pm

Ever try to landscape a yard using a teaspoon? That's how much fun it is to edit in AE, and that's what it sounds like you're trying to do. Bad idea.

You'll be better off editing in Vegas, then exporting the edit to AE. It'll come in as a single clip. Use a high-quality codec to go to and come out of AE.

It also sounds like you're really new at this. If you haven't been to the following place, you need to do it now:

Read EVERYTHING. Visit all the links. AE is nothing like Vegas, and it certainly doesn't work like Vegas, and you need to know the basics. This is a "learn to walk before you run" kind of app.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew MooreRe: Using the timeline
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:39:34 pm

Thank you very much, very helpful.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Using the timeline
by on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:16:40 pm

I highly recommend the link Dave gave you. It's an excellent resource for those just starting in AE.

To answer your questions, you would press . on your number pad to initiate an audio preview and press * on your number pad to place markers. The markers will be placed on the highlighted layer or, if no layer is highlighted, on the comp itself.

As far as making all your video be on one layer, learn about precomposing it's a very basic and fundamental part of working with AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved